It is currently Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: A Current Question
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2015 7:12 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Greetings mbrown.

I have something (it might be an idea) that is rattling around in my head, but I need to ask you something first. I have a funny feeling that your answer is going to negate this thing that is rattling, in which case it is not an idea but merely a whim. BUT! if you answer a different way then it can work....

I know none of that makes any sense, but bear with me and it will. I will explain the idea/whim later...

Ok, if I have a coil of wire wrapped around a nail, and stuck on the head of said nail is the North side of a magnet of strength X. Now when I pass current through the coil, just enough to make the nail head ever so slightly North, so it repels the magnet, let us say the amps required is Y.

Now, here is my question... If I repeat the exercise and instead, I use a magnet of strength 2X, is the amps value required 2Y?

I hope this question makes sense...
BlueMental

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: A Current Question
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 5:57 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
BlueMental wrote:
Greetings mbrown.

I have something (it might be an idea) that is rattling around in my head, but I need to ask you something first. I have a funny feeling that your answer is going to negate this thing that is rattling, in which case it is not an idea but merely a whim. BUT! if you answer a different way then it can work....

I know none of that makes any sense, but bear with me and it will. I will explain the idea/whim later...

Ok, if I have a coil of wire wrapped around a nail, and stuck on the head of said nail is the North side of a magnet of strength X. Now when I pass current through the coil, just enough to make the nail head ever so slightly North, so it repels the magnet, let us say the amps required is Y.

Now, here is my question... If I repeat the exercise and instead, I use a magnet of strength 2X, is the amps value required 2Y?

I hope this question makes sense...
BlueMental
Good question, I don’t know. It has got me thinking about lots of other things that I don’t know too :lol:

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:39 pm 

A good answer.

Ok, Here goes the concept:- (It is still a bit fuzzy in my mind at the moment, hopefully it will develop into clarity before this topic is exhausted.

Initial idea:-
We have a rotor with 8 neomagnets placed 45° apart, all with North facing outward. The stator has 1 set of 8 bifilar coils, the EMF of one of the stator coils triggers a transistor that sends current to the second stator coil to power the core metal to a North magnetic field. This means that the neomagnet (we spin the rotor to start as is done with SSG) has a slight pull to the raw iron core in the stator, and as soon as the magnet passes the coil, the EMF powers the second coil which repels the magnet. Since both coils surround the same core, it is self timing.

So in essence, we have a brushless dc motor. Now if the amount of current is directly proportional to the strength of the neomagnets, we need more amps to drive a stronger motor. However, if it uses anything less than equal values ( for example, if magnetic field = 1 and coil amps requires 1 AND magnetic field =2 and coil amps requires coil amps = 1.9 or less ) then we have a motor that as the magnetic fields are increased, the amperage required decreases.

At the worst, we have a brushless motor which has all sorts of opportunities to add (or combine in circuit) an SSG or similar circuit to harness the emf.

It can be experimented with, as I did with the SSG circuit before. I found the best results with 5 coils. If I recall, I had 2 in parallel as the power coils and the remaining 3 - also in parallel had 2 going to charge the second battery with the third connected to nothing. A weird - resonance - for want of a better word, occurred by disconnecting the third coil. There was an extreme increase in voltage when it was NOT connected which was far greater than using 4 coils.

Perhaps the 'free' coil absorbs the emf of the power coils. I had (and still have) no idea what went on in that circuit, but it did give incredible results.

A saying I thought I came up with was, 'The only thing I know is that I know nothing' but I later found out that Socrates or Plato (one of them type dudes - can't recall) came up with it first. The sad truth of unintentional plagiarism. So I think between the two of us, we don't know every thing, even if we don't think about it.

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 4:47 pm 

Just to clarify:- The fifth coil had 1 side connected (which would have been in parallel) with the other not connected at all. If both sides were disconnected, the increase in voltage disappeared.

Also, if one side was connected as if we were intending to connect in series, the voltage increase disappeared.

Curiouser and curiouser.

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 5:38 am 

Im no expert on this type of thing but I am aware of large unexplained voltages occurring, Its only unexplained because we don’t know how it happened. If you could give a sketch of the layout of the coils and magnets and a basic circuit when the voltage occurred I might be able to explain it.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 1:11 am 

No real sketch needed.

Just put the entire SSG circuit on a bridge board and instead of wiring the poles with 2 strands, use 5. Udin two of the five strands place starts where one would put the original power start, and end where the power coil would end.

With the next 3 coils, connect start where the charging coil start would go, and place ONLY 2 ends where the charging coil end would go. The 'free' coil end is connected to NOTHING. It hangs in the air as if it were an antenna.

Here is the freaky bit, if you disconnet the 'free' coils start wire, the voltage that goes to recharge the second battery drops drastically.

Using this configuration while powering the circuit with 25.v (2 rechargeable nimh aaa's), I got it to spin so fast it disintegrated the fan. What actually happened was the fan distorted an when the sides hit, it kinda imploded. My guess in RPM was > 20 000.

Understand also that since I had these 5 coils (they were wound cw and ccw) individually attached to the bridge board, I tried them in every conceivable way I could imagine. In series, parallel, reversing some (start and end swapped) reversing the 1 connected 'antenna' coil/s, 1 power - 1 charging and 3 'antenna'. In other words, you name it, I tried it. If you did NOT name it, I probably tried that too, at least twice just to be sure.

You might recall I even got the whole thing working with the fan in static mode (I melted the fan housing because it had no air cooling it from the fan and no heat dispersion system.

None of that is really important. The point of this topic is to build a simple brushless dc motor that has more horsepower from less current used. The 'stolen' part is the use of a bifilar coil to use as it's own trigger using the emf off the second coil to kick start a transistor to send the voltage to the power coil. If the remaining current from the coils (both power and trigger) are usable in a similar way as the SSG circuit then even better, but that is not the primary aim.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 9:31 am 

Im still not sure what your circuit is, but you mention one thing that has been tested and proven. A bifilar coil with one winding open ended. http://jnaudin.free.fr/html/biftest.htm

I once wired a Universal motor up as the inductance in an LC circuit and pulsed it at the resonant frequency in an attempt to get power out of resonance. As I was switching on the return side, effectively I had a coil that was connected to my LC circuit in my power supply and it was effectively open ended. The motor did not run well but the heat output from the motor was huge. I concluded that the extra power causing the heat was from resonance but it could just as easily come from this open ended coil.

The thing is, motor power is related to current flow and not voltage. I was getting a big gain in voltage so under ohms law that meant I had a gain in power. I had to drop the supply voltage so the motor would not burn out as this reduced the current. At no time did I get a gain in current so of course there was no gain in motor performance. I believe I had a gain in power but it was all lost to heat.

I would expect that the current in your device must be higher to get a gain in speed. The question is the current coming from the supply or coils?