It is currently Fri May 26, 2017 9:19 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: A different type of Electric Motor
PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:41 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
If a way can be found to switch the field of magnets that does not take all the force generated by the magnet we have a winner, and once we can achieve that we can also pass the flux through coils and generate at the same time. The truth is that this has been very elusive with only a few people having success.

I suspect that Mu Metal is repelled by magnets, both at the north and south poles which makes the switching cost us.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:42 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
If Mu Metal does indeed repel a magnetic field, then my previous speculation is dead as a post in a swamp.

The coil version's 'timing circuit' might best be handled by a 555 timing circuit. I am very low in skill level regarding electronics stuff and I hope you and other readers might pursue that field.

The best way to get to kiss the girl is to start a conversation. Without that start one has a definite no.

I hope some electronics guru's speak to this 'girl'.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2014 10:40 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
I am not an electronics guy, thats why i like mechanical switching, but I will help where I can. I dont know how you would use a 555 circuit to time the switching but it is very simple to do with a bedini circuit and this has the benefit of energy recovery built in.

Try the bedini SSG and then by adding a second wheel you are well on the way to a simplified motor of the type you have been describing. The bedini works by cancelling attraction as the magnet passes the coil, allowing the wheel to continue to the next point of attraction where the next magnet is drawn in. This circuit has also been used on the magnetic wankle engine with some success.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 5:59 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Greetings M Brown.
I have discovered that the term 'shield' fore Mumetal is actually misleading. It is in fact a ferrous metal just like steel, and it absorbs the magnetic field add opposed to shielding it.

With regard to Neomagnets, steel is a more effective 'shield'.

This means that my Mumetal designs do not work. I can mess around with them as I do have access to steel - obviously - but I doubt it is worth the effort.

I don't recall if I posted my new electric motor design. I tried to check my posts, however my computer died and I can only access via phone and it is cumbersome and cluttered.

The new motor does not use shield in any way and is a conversion of linear motion to rotary motion, which allows a 'trick' of using negligible energy to harness the magnetic fields in Neomagnets.

Imagine a Neomagnet attached to a vertical moving shaft. This shaft is light in friction as it runs off an array of bearings.

The Neomagnet has above it and below it, two soft iron rods.
The distance from the lower iron rod and the upper face of the Neomagnet is 10% less than where the Neomagnets 'grab' field strength pulls iron towards it vigorously.
That distance is equaled by the bottom iron rod.
Thus the Neomagnet is suspended between the two iron rods in a perpetual tug of war.

If we were to push the magnet either up our down a small distance, perhaps 2 or 3 millimetres, then the magnet, and it's shaft infrastructure would 'snap' to the iron rod we pushed towards.

Once there, the circuit applies current to coils wrapped around the soft iron rods, which makes the rod closest to the magnet repel the magnet, while the furthest rod attracts the magnet.

The electromagnet does not need to repel the magnet a great deal, it only needs enough current to no longer attract the magnet. Momentum will do the rest.

For understanding of why the momentum assists, I now explain further.

The lower end of the magnets shaft infrastructure is connected to a crankshaft via a conrod. In other words it is a simulation of a piston connected to the crankshaft.

The triggering of the circuitry is a variation of the SSG circuit.

The strength of the motor is defined by how many magnets are arrayed on the 'piston', and how large their magnetic field strengths are.

A second independent SSG circuit with a capacitor in place of the driving battery, thus charges the 1st SSG circuit's driving battery.

We thus have a SERIOUSLY powerful motor which in essence is a perpetual motion machine which can be stayed and stopped and even spotted regulated (just add a timing circuit).

One 10 x 10 x 3mms Neomagnet can lift a 4 pound hammer.
An array of 12 of them is 48 pounds. (21.77 kg's)

The stroke would be approximately 60 millimetres.

This little motor would produce torque if ± 6.67 N.m

An array of 50 x 50 x 20 would be a force of note. I don't know how many kg's a Neomagnet of this size would lift, but it would no doubt be at least 20 our 30 kg's.
Imagine an array of 32 x 30 kg's
That would equate to 294 N.m

Bearing that in mind, a fuel injected 1.6 litre Golf (Skoda) engine kicks out 125 N.m

I really should build one of these (a small one with 4 of 10 x 10 x 3 Neomagnets) to check it out.