It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:35 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: fan coil
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:13 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
thanks for all the answers and help you've gave mbrown , not just for me but for everyone, the feeling i got when i finally got one working was amazing, i didnt know anything about electronics or electricity just a month or two ago , and after probably 6 fans and about 100 hours i finally got it, when i get more fans in i will try to do i video explaining some stuff better that i found troubling, THANKS to everyone
bad4life has been thanked by:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:39 am 

im charging a 12v battery from a 18v drill battery, it started at 13.35 and went down to 13.23, i'm wondering if its just conditioning it and will eventually start to go back up in volts? I also put a 5k ohm resistor between the potentiometer and the transistor as it seemed to give better chirping/ neon flicker with 18v(12v wouldnt run the fan with that much resistance), im also wondering if this was overkill in resistance?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:07 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
I would lower the resistance, you should be able to use a supply battery of less voltage than the battery you are charging

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 7:17 pm 

in your experience whats good resistances for 120mm fans? ive read that you want it to be running as slow as possible without stopping, but then i see videos of rick friedrich running fans at almost full speed(and seemingly having better results than i am)..... im having trouble noticing different charging rates while hooked up to batteries, am i supposed to want the neon bulb to be constantly on when i am tuning it or am i searching for flicker?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:01 pm 

You want as low resistance as possible but as many turns as possible so it is a compromise. I like to keep the ohms in single figures. I cannot comment on Ricks fans as I don't have one.

When you are charging the batteries the neon should not light up, and you tune for the highest battery voltage.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:16 am 

Instructions in video: "Mark which 2 wires were at inside (start of wrap) as minus somewhere on stator and the 2 wires at the outside (end of wrap) as plus check for continuity 20 to 60 ohms."
I'm confused. Many questions happen when instructions leave room for too much error.
I'm trying to figure out what should be plus and what should be minus. Will I fry something if I get it wrong?
Is it likely to be + - + - as I go around the stator? Or + + - - ?
I looked at each of the leads and the coils ALL look like they're coming from the inside of the wrap to the leads. So.. going by the instructions, I can't figure out. Unless, when you say outside you mean the outside going on either side of the leads that have no wire going between them.... I need help.
Does it mean only check the continuity between the plus and minus or between each of them? Because I only show a coninuity reading between two of my leads.
And, without a circuit board, since we removed it, how do you fasten the stator and coils back to the fan casing? Superglue? It wasn't even mentioned in any of the five videos (the "Free Energy in Minutes" video and the four-part "Bedini fan project" videos). Seems pretty important since we're talking about the thing that supports rotating fan blades.
By the way, thanks so much to Imhotep and Shiva for putting this design out there. But do it right next time! :D
I really am joking in my criticisms, but I'm not kidding about needing help. With the number of things I'm uncertain of, my chances of getting this thing right seem pretty slim. And I'm running out of fans. I destroyed my favorite while trying to get to its coils. Hoping to reduce my risks on the second attempt.

Last edited by superdude on Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:41 am 

superdude wrote:
Instructions in video: "Mark which 2 wires were at inside (start of wrap) as minus somewhere on stator and the 2 wires at the outside (end of wrap) as plus check for continuity 20 to 60 ohms."
I'm confused. Many questions happen when instructions leave room for too much error.
I'm trying to figure out what should be plus and what should be minus. Will I fry something if I get it wrong?
Is it likely to be + - + - as I go around the stator? Or + + - - ?
I looked at each of the leads and the coils ALL look like they're coming from the inside of the wrap to the leads. So.. going by the instructions, I can't figure out. Unless, when you say outside you mean the outside going on either side of the leads that have no wire going between them.... I need help.
Does it mean only check the continuity between the plus and minus or between each of them? Because I only show a coninuity reading between two of my leads.
And, without a circuit board, since we removed it, how do you fasten the coils back to the fan casing? Superglue? It wasn't even mentioned in the videos. Any of the five of them (the "Free Energy in Minutes" video and the four-part "Bedini fan project" videos). Seems pretty important since we're talking about the thing that supports rotating fan blades.
By the way, thanks so much to Imhotep for putting this design out there for us to play with. But do it right next time! :D
I really am joking in my criticisms. But I'm not kidding about needing help. With the number of things I'm uncertain of, my chances of getting this thing right seem pretty slim. And I'm running out of fans. I destroyed my favorite while trying to get to its coils. Hoping to reduce my risks on the second attempt.

HEHE I can never remember myself, I just use trial and error. No you wont damage anything and the fan will only run with the wires connected the right way.

On fans where you have been unsuccessful just rewind them with new thicker wire, then you will know which wires are which.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 10:56 am 

Mbrownn, thanks for answering the most important question I had. I don't like to fry things.
Winding.. On my first project? I need to see something just work. I was certainly going to learn how to wind motors, but I'm making a b-line for just getting something working for this first one. I thought that was the whole idea. To be honest, this whole thing is a drag for me until I get one that at least sort of works. Once I get that, then I'll be inspired to put loads of time and effort into improving it.
I don't have the faith yet.
What about the stator and coil assembly? Just superglue? Or am I missing something in the instructions? It said remove the circuitboard, but the circuitboard was what it used to be soldered securely to. So now, the thing on which the fan rotates is just free to move around loose? That surely isn't right. I'll probably use hotglue, but .. what am I missing here?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:24 pm 

Sometimes it can be difficult to get the stator coils out of the case and the wires on the coils are so small it is difficult to solder (the reason i suggested a rewind) but they usually just push back in, no need for glue. If yours is too loose you could use glue but hot met glue may melt when it is running, better to use epoxy.

Rewinding is not difficult at all on these fans.

Its well worth the effort though.

The simplest device is the relay charger, this uses mechanical switching instead of electronic but they are noisy. The relay is a lot more powerful than the small fans and really bites if you touch the output when it is running. :lol:

I suggest you build both.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:11 pm 

Thanks. I probably didn't use proper terms. I was just wondering how this whatever-it's called, the "spool", that the fan spins on and which the coils are mounted around, is supposed to mount back into the plastic square fan frame so that it is a stable base for the spinning fan blades so the whole thing doesn't fly apart. We did, after all, remove the circuit board that was holding it, right? I must be missing something and it may be my fault, but I watched all the videos, read the pdf,.. This is the thing I was talking about when I mentioned hotglue.
Edit: Oops, I forgot it kinda broke off the fan frame as I was trying to get things apart. So it will fit back like a puzzle piece into the fan frame. Duh. I was just too tired last night to think apparently.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next