It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: fan coil
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:48 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
ive watched videos of how to do the coil a munch of times and just want to make sure im doing it correctly, i have a fan thats has 2 wires on the one post, do i just clip one of them, unwind it half a turn so its now just long enough to reach the 4th post?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: fan coil
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:11 pm 

does it matter which of the 2 lines i cut and put to the 4th post? ive never read anywhere where is describes which wire to put on the 4th post

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:52 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
Yes just cut one wire and attach it to the fourth post. Trial and error is the method I use to find the polarity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:19 am 

thanks for all the help mbrown, youve answered so many questions on this forum its nice to see that, i've just got all my parts in and im close to getting it.....im still learning all this stuff though, i do not have a second battery connected yet and was wondering if i needed it to get the fan to continue spinning as its only going for about 4 seconds, theres definitly some magnetics going on though.... 110vac light will blink quickly when i connect power, is there a way to tell if the vac light is backwards? will fan still work if its vac is connected backwards? i could possibly have used the wrong wire for the 4th post also, just trying to pick at some smarter brains here , thanks again

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 3:13 am 

The second battery is there to collect the radiant energy, you could use a capacitor instead but the fan will run without it. Just be carefull to have the meon bulb on the device when a battery or capacitor is not connected, otherwise the transistor will get fried.

What is the 110v ac light and where are you connecting it? Is it the neon bulb? If it is then it does not matter about polarity as neons have no polarity.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:28 am 

its a neon..... i switched it around and its lighting up the same, just when i connect and remove power..... i just noticed my negative coils on my fan are getting super hot when im trying to get it to spin, could this be a sign of using the wrong wire to the 4th post?( i ordered multimeter a couple weeks ago but it hasnt came yet...)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 4:50 am 

i have placed the neon bulb on the transistor like on the imhotep video

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:44 pm 

remember you need to spin it by hand to make the fan run but check the polarity of the wires, you may have them the wrong way round, I do that all the time :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:14 pm 

I think my coil must be wrong, i might have even burnt out my neon bulb.... got a meter intoday, checking for resistance, is there a proper way to do this? ive just been checking posts on coils next to eachother, i got about 25 on two, and two with nothing, is there going to be one post that wont give a reading or should i be getting 20-60 between all posts? thanks again im new to all of this and have just started learning about it in the last 2 weeks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:36 am 

i just got a brand new fan! and as for the coil, i cut one wire and put it from the 3rd to 4th post and was getting 25 ohms between 1st and 3rd post, nothing between the others, am i supposed to be getting an ohm reading between the 2nd and 4th post too? i then swapped the wires between the 3rd and 4th post and was getting nothing between any of the posts so i went back to wires i switched originally, i may be at a standstill until i can get some more advice