It is currently Sat May 27, 2017 7:56 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Frustration is in the details for beginners
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:17 am 

Have thanks: 4 time
Superdude,

The Positive wires are the wires that you would have split or more importantly the outside wire the wires that can be unwound.
The negative wires are the inside or start of the wrap or windings either way you can just use your aligator clips and hook up then change if you get a no run as in swap.
I mark as shown in the vid the start wires with a - sign and the outside wires whre I post them as +.
You do not need to unwrap everything if you get 2 turns of a coil that is the outside because the start of wrap is not able to be unwrapped imagine a kite and the line you can only let the kite out from one end due to the windings weing over the line/wire.
So It should be easy to find which ones are the outside(+) That is a critical part of the build. As I said before get a fan you doin't need sacrafice it and break all four wire try and unwind them and you will find only two will unwind they are the outside(+)

G.G.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:31 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
Thank you, man. At some point in the future maybe I'll try to explain to you what all I've been having to deal with beside the obvious. What you just told me helped more than you'll know and was exactly what I really need. I sort of understand everything you've been saying all along, but I'm not together enough to put pieces together to arrive at logical conclusions like I normally can. I'm in a state of obsession and really desperation to get this working.
I tested and found the two pairs with continuity and now I know which coils are likely positive. And know that I do see how it makes complete sense that the split wires would be the outside now, but I just couldn't see it forward.

You're awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:45 am 

My apologies about the dodgiest first pic, I had a look after I posted it and it confused me terrible hopefully Mr B can get rid of it oh well.
I feel your pain I too am hurting as I am sure lots are.
Sometimes it helps to just stop.
That is the hardest thing to do I often wonder about these geniuses and how they sleep not really good I could imagine.
so Yes stop and take a break and mabye the light bulb pops above your head and bing you get the radiant idea. LOL
I so want a world that isn't governed by mans greed that has unlimited power and health and equality for all.
It takes a lot of people though to form a catalyst reaction to shift from who gives a F*^& to the little people at the bottom hold up the top of the pyramid.
If we knew our potential we would not stand for this entrapment.
When you add family it is hard to walk away from the shackles of society. woa sorry scaring myself.

Hope that helped.

G.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:47 am 

A golden age of Individual human liberty, innovation, and prosperity begun and fueled by peace, free markets and voluntarism versus an Orwellian world-wide police state begun and fueled by war, slavery, coercion, and atrocity. That's what I see at stake in the longrun. It's one of the reasons I'm driven on this, I'll admit.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:15 am 

Okay, it's still doing the same thing, nothing. With the fan that I just finished. This is madness. I'll do some reading, thinking, and testing of components. I decided to temporarily bypass the potentiometer while I'm trying to get the circuit to do something. If I understand right, that should be the same thing as having the potentiometer fully open.

Depending on how I have it hooked up, naturally it acts a bit differently. Hooked up the way I think things should be, the fan moves slightly and becomes stiff to turn when I plug in the power source battery. Switching wires coming from the fan, it goes limp like I believe it should, but nothing happens when I give the fan a spin. Using about 16 volts from 2 9-volts in series for source.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:03 am 

I just checked my 2n3055 npn transistor with a multimeter. I'm getting, I think, the same results I got before when I checked, but I'm just realizing they may not be good. Collector to base shows 456 ohms and Emitter to base is the same. I'm about to fall asleep, so I'll have to pick up on this in the morning.

*Next morning: Read this on a different forum:
To check if your transistor is still okey, try this simple tests using your multimeter:
base-emitter - conduct one way only
base-collector - conduct one way only
collector-emitter - not conduct either way

So, maybe my transistor really is okay.

It may be time to put this entrire project on hold for a while and come back after I've found some employment somewhere. One of those other circuits may have been easier, but I didn't know that going forward, and I don't have the parts nor the money to keep throwing in a potential money pit. It will just have to be someone smarter and with better funds than me to spread the message about these, IF the claims I've heard are really true. If you can end up with a large bank of well-charged batteries, without ever conecting any other power source except the batteries, starting with only a couple, that's power that is coming from somewhere else, maybe what some call radiant energy. That's practically free energy, whether you use the term overunity or not. I'll need to see it and verify for myself though before I'll believe it. I intend to get to the bottom of this eventually. Free power would really help the world. IF it's for real, and according to the claims from people it almost sounds like it is, I hope the word is spread so that enough people are able to create their own with ease. I really think getting all of this down to the level of a layman with little knowledge of electronics would help greatly. Maybe I'm just the one who was destined to slip through the cracks and never get this working. Maybe the videos are adequate. They're definitely the most step-by-step thing I've found to get one of these set up.

I don't think I would have gotten as far as I did without the help of people here. I'm still going to be tinkering with it, I'm sure. If I get it working, I'll return here and explain what was going on, because I'm sure there are people reading this as curious as I am.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:03 pm 

Okay, I have trouble giving up. I just realized something. Those little thumb-sized 9-volts are NOT enough. Even when combined in series. I just tried powering an unmodded 0.12 amp fan and the 16 volts wasn't enough. Then I tried a different low-amp fan, same result. Then I hooked up to the 10.7 volt car battery and the unmodded fan spins. So, there's a definite problem there with what I've been doing. I didn't need more voltage necessarily (yet to be seen) but more amps. Will this knowledge get my bedini working? I'm not holding my breath, but certainly progress in my troubleshooting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:06 pm 

Moving fan. The fan is moving! We have a moving fan!
*** VICTORY! *** :D

That is weird that it will spin clockwise or counterclockwise depending on how you start it.

Thank you, MBrown.
Thank you, Gmang73.
Thank you, sucahyo. I forgot to respond to your posts. I'm really curious to learn more about that circuit(s) you were recommending.

And I'm sorry I was such a baby through all this. That's the way it usually works for me. It's always after I have a complete embarrassing breakdown and a second wind before I figure something out. The secret for me seems to be never actually quitting when I say I'm going to.

SO what was I doing wrong this whole time, I'm wondering now.. I think at any given time I had at least one thing wrong and usually multiple things at once. The last thing I changed was the polarity of the "trigger" wires. The first big thing I had wrong was I failed to see that other diode. Then, I was using little 9volt batteries as the source power, which, even in series, didn't have enough amperage for the amount of volts to turn the fan.

By the way, if a newcomer looks at the current schematic for this project and has read what mbrownn was saying about trigger + and - and power + and -, the way I realized those are supposed to be is thusly: the trigger + and - are the ones on the left in the schematic and the power + and - are the ones on the right of the fan in the schematic. And I don't think it matters which of the coil pairs you use for trigger or power, but it does matter that you eventually get the polarity right. As gmang73 was saying, it's USUALLY the two wires that you took off the pole in the fan motor that is the end of the coil (to be made positive) but it isn't always. It can help to have a knowledge of how the motors are wound, but anyway you might just color code the insulated wire you're soldering to thse as positives and then later switch polarities and try it, starting with the 2 wires in the same coil pair you've designated as trigger. Then, if that didn't work, switch the 2 wires of the coil you've designated as the power coil. And if that doesn't work, it's time to recheck things in the circuit. I was paranoid that I had done something wrong in the fan, but now I realize I probably hadn't. I haven't tried my first modded fan again yet, but I'll get back to that eventually.. Now it's time to start playing with this thing.

Last edited by superdude on Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 12:39 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
Finding a problem can be tricky. It is nice that you finally found the problem.

From what I recall, the joule thief version do not require rewinding nor adding pole. You can use it as it is, but with an additional wire.

Attachments:
stingofanmotor1m.jpg
stingofanmotor1m.jpg [ 16.2 KiB | Viewed 452 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:22 pm 

I spent 3 hours making a solid magnetite and resign stator and it dosent work :(
bummer I rewound the coil three times.........
not good robin hood.

G.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next