It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 9:36 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: If this is a Bedini SSG Where are the magnets on this fan?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 3:10 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
I'm a new-bie here.

Are you using a magnetic field from the fan motor to excite the coils, or are you gluing tiny neod mags to each one of the blades?
I would like to build one of these, but I dont understand where the magnetic field will come that will cut the coils and start the Bedini SSG effect going.

2nd question, if I may. About the SSG. How exactly does the trigger coil work? What biases the transistor base terminal? Is it the current or the voltage coming from the trigger coil that is important? Is it the 300 v radiant energy spike that triggers the transistor, or just the tiny regular current generated from a mag field passing thru the trigger coil windings.

If it is the 300 v radiant spike, then I guess 60 volt rated transistors dont mind 300 v spikes as long as it's negative energy.

If it is tiny regular magnetic current, would you mind giving me a few readings of what your trigger coils put out? Mine dont seem to put out enough to trip the transistor. am using a Bedini 3 pole kit for coils (about the size of a spool of thread) and my transistor is a 1N2222 NPN.

Thanks;

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: If this is a Bedini SSG Where are the magnets on this fa
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:04 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
Questor wrote:
I'm a new-bie here.

Are you using a magnetic field from the fan motor to excite the coils, or are you gluing tiny neod mags to each one of the blades?
I would like to build one of these, but I dont understand where the magnetic field will come that will cut the coils and start the Bedini SSG effect going.

2nd question, if I may. About the SSG. How exactly does the trigger coil work? What biases the transistor base terminal? Is it the current or the voltage coming from the trigger coil that is important? Is it the 300 v radiant energy spike that triggers the transistor, or just the tiny regular current generated from a mag field passing thru the trigger coil windings.

If it is the 300 v radiant spike, then I guess 60 volt rated transistors dont mind 300 v spikes as long as it's negative energy.

If it is tiny regular magnetic current, would you mind giving me a few readings of what your trigger coils put out? Mine dont seem to put out enough to trip the transistor. am using a Bedini 3 pole kit for coils (about the size of a spool of thread) and my transistor is a 1N2222 NPN.

Thanks;

Sorry for the slow reply.
We are using the standard fan ring magnet.

As the coil is bifilar wound, when we pass current through one winding a transformer effect occurs and induces a current in the second winding. This switches off the transistor. the current stops and the process repeats.

It is when we do not have a charging battery connected that we get the big spikes, normally they are around 10x the input voltage. A neon across the transistor will allow the voltage to leak away at about 60v protecting the transistor. The spikes are only a few volts above the charging battery voltage at the most and so when a battery is connected the neon should not light up.

The trigger coil sees similar voltages to the power coil through the transformer effect as it is in effect a 1 to 1 transformer

I would recommend that you always have a battery connected to the output to prevent transistor damage.

Profile Send private message