It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 12:31 pm

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: My next step from the IRO
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 6:56 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
mbrownn wrote:
It could be that the coil does oscillate for a short time causing the bulb to light

Mick

yeah, from what i've read the "one-pulse-in yields one-pulse-out" situation is like a frictionless surface (great for calculations but REALLY hard to find in the real world)... arcs especially can cause a 'ringing' effect in a transformer, so a little oscillation as the waveform dies off could definitely exist. anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt anyway, my electrical knowledge is a mix of things i've read, some dating back over a century... real engineers don't enjoy talking to me much (hah!)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 2:11 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
Remember that if you have a capacitance in parallel with a coil it can and will oscillate. Most components, even wire, have some capacitance. I don't understand how and why but i am assured it is true. That could explain your results. An oscilloscope would be able to see it.

Two coils in parallel can sometimes build up very high voltages when oscillating, its fun isn't it

As for the grain of salt? well we all can misunderstand and make mistakes hehehe, but coils bite back when you do, so always be careful.

Mick

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:41 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
altrez wrote:
As a test I simply hooked up a 12v battery to my Ignition Coil and then hook the Ignition coil to a CFL. It will light the CFL extremely bright for a second and then go out. If I tap the negative connection to the negative post of my battery it will flicker.
I think your experiment similar to mine. Although I use 1.5V battery:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73VS6VeockY

It is caused by coil collapse current. When car coil primary get charged by the battery there is some change in the current pasisng the coil. This will propagate to secondary but may not be enough to light up the CFL.

But when you disconnect the power, the charged current stored in the car coil primary will collapse as fast as coil resistance allowed and generate high voltage. This high voltage then propagate to secondary and light up the CFL.

This is why you can only light up the CFL for a moment. Notice that you can get bright light only at power disconnect.

To do this continuously you need self oscillating relay or Joule Thief circuit or transistor driven by timer. I prefer the later one with 10% up time, currently running more than a month at about 6 hour a day without failing or heating up, not for lighting CFL though, just for energizing my drink water or occasionally charging some battery.

Relay (IRO) give most power but the waste spark make it hard to increase output. Transistor is less efficient by allow much powerfull output.

This effect should not be called BEMF, instead it should be called coil collapse current according to Peter Lindemann.