It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:12 pm

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Noobtastic questions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:39 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
Playing around with my new toy now, and the "what if" questions are starting to materialize in my little brain.
Here goes: questions that might make one say "Are you really asking that?"

1. Can I generally use something other than a battery as the source if my selection of good batteries are pretty limited at the moment? For instance, the 12v line from a regulated computer power supply?

2. Does it hurt to keep a digital multimeter hooked up to the charging battery, or is there somewhere better in the circuit to monitor things? I did read somewhere it's not a good idea to keep an analog meter on there all the time, but those work differently than the digitals.

3. My neon never comes on, but my best source battery is at 9 volts right now, so I imagine that's why. Is that correct? I did, by the way, test my neon light by plugging its leads into an AC outlet and it does light up then.

4. This question isn't as important, because I think I'll run upon the answer soon, but I was wondering if there are any benefits to running the fan "backward". Actually, I'm running it the way Shiva ran it in the video. She spun it clockwise, which makes the air blow toward us, but remember, most of us are looking at what normally was the back side of the fan, since that's the open side easiest to spin, so in actuality, we are running it backward when we spin it clockwise.

5. Would there be any known advantage to getting rid of all the wind resistence, if I were to cut off the propellers from the spinning magnet assembly? I mean, I know they're supposed to help prove that it's also doing work besides charging batteries, but the only real prrof I'm interested in right now is the growing bank of charged conditioned batteries, if I'm understanding right what I've heard about these.
Thanks.

*I found the answer to question 4, well explained by Mbrownn:
Quote:
If the stator sections are symmetrical rotation direction makes no difference; however if they taper in one direction then use the fan's recommended direction as the motor torque will be slightly higher in that direction.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Noobtastic questions
PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:18 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
1) Yes, in fact it will be more efficient to charge this way than connecting directly from the power supply, provided the the power supply isn't too big. Some of the small 12v transformers for charging batteries that plug direct into the wall like a cell phone charger are ideal.

A transformer may be 90% efficient X the Bedini charging efficiency of around 95% = 85.5% efficiency

A transformer may be 90% efficient X normal direct charging efficiency of around 75% = 67.5% efficiency

2) It is always best to remove the meter, analogue meters draw a small amount of current to power them which can make a difference when charging a small battery. Digital meters draw less current but can be damaged by the pulsed DC if the power lead disconnects from the charging battery while still being connected to the meter.

3) The neon should only light when you are not connected to the charging battery but you should not run it for long this way as the neon could fail and then the transistor becomes fried.

4) The direction of rotation only makes a difference to the efficiency of the air movement provided by the fan, it makes no difference electrically.

5) Removing the blades makes no difference electrically to the operation of the fan, the charge rate is still the same. the rotor will of course, spin easier. When I did this I had one fan spin so fast that the rotor came out and flew across the room.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:15 pm 

I have tried it several times without a battery charging and the neon never comes on, even if I turn the lights in the room off. The neon doesn't show the dimmest light coming from it. My current theory is, it's because my strongest source battery is the car battery that's down to less than 10v now. So, thanks for answering those questions, Mbrownn, now I look forward to hooking up a transformer for higher input voltage. Maybe that will light up the neon.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:03 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
I have had that too, it should light up if you are on the sweet spot but sometimes it lights with a bright white/purple light and after that does not light because the neon is damaged.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:56 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
mbrownn wrote:
A transformer may be 90% efficient X the Bedini charging efficiency of around 95% = 85.5% efficiency

A transformer may be 90% efficient X normal direct charging efficiency of around 75% = 67.5% efficiency
Bedini charging efficiency is higher if you consider the real charging time.

My son play with mini 4 wd often, and I watched considerably faster charging with bedini charging. The battery is 1000mAh. My circuit consume 2Amp max. max output about 500mA (one of my worst circuit).

According to this site bellow, full charge require 36 minutes with normal charger with 2 Amp output.
http://www.csgnetwork.com/batterychgcalc.html

According to this site bellow, full charge require 30 minutes with normal charger with 2 Amp output.
http://convert-to.com/491/recharging-re ... eries.html

I found that 10 minutes in my stingo is definitely overcharging!

Those website calculate with the charger output current, but bedini kind of charger trump normal charger even when compared to the circuit input current.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:10 am 

I hooked up a 0.8A 12V transformaer as the source power, and now we're in business. The neon lights up with no battery hooked in. Since it wasn't lighting up before with the ailing car battery as source, I wonder if that's why I've been seeing such a slow or even practically nonexistent charge before now. Or it could also have been the bad shape my charging batteries are in. I'll have some idea soon. Right now, studying on how to find that "sweet spot".
*Update: The light is now on even while charging a battery. :? I am confused now.
*Post-previous-update I plugged in a different battery to charge, a dead 9-volt alkaline. The light is now acting like it should. It isn't on while the battery is plugged in. So, that's the main thing I care about now, it's acting as it should. I'll figure out whatever that was with the other battery, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:55 am 

What if I hooked up two fans in the same circuit and hooked up a 20-something volt transformer as the source? My initial guess would be, pretty unlikely to do anything beneficial, even if it worked. It was just a thought I had since I have a second fan already "bedinified" here that I realized I could wire into this bedini. Any thoughts before I try it? Any reason to think something will fry?

Also, unrelated, I'm noticing the light on when I hook up this sealed lead acid battery to charge. It doesn't come on with other batteries. I'm not sure what that means.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:06 am 

It is better to make two circuit and combine it. It will be more efficient.

From a friend:
Stingo - Input 1,06 amp Output 0,26amp
S2C - Input 0,58 amp Output 0,26amp

He reduce input consumption when he combine two stingo circuit.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:22 am 

I watched your video and other people's about the stingo circuit. It sounds like the one I'll try to emulate when I make my next charger. It makes me wonder what other advances there are that I don't know about yet. I was reading about UFOPolitics' electrodynamic engine. It definitely sounds like he's onto something, but that sounds far beyond my budget and even further beyond my capabilities knowledge-wise. It took me more than a week to get the comparatively simple imhotep bedini circuit working. Whatever the next thing I do will be, I'm sure will be easier after having the foundation of working on this one.

Right now though, I'm still getting used to this circuit and seeing if I can get it to charge anything. SO far, no real success. All the batteries I've attempted to charge go back to their original precharge voltage. But, pretty much all of my batteries are in pretty bad shape.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:38 am 

superdude wrote:
I watched your video and other people's about the stingo circuit. It sounds like the one I'll try to emulate when I make my next charger. It makes me wonder what other advances there are that I don't know about yet. I was reading about UFOPolitics' electrodynamic engine. It definitely sounds like he's onto something, but that sounds far beyond my budget and even further beyond my capabilities knowledge-wise. It took me more than a week to get the comparatively simple imhotep bedini circuit working. Whatever the next thing I do will be, I'm sure will be easier after having the foundation of working on this one.

Right now though, I'm still getting used to this circuit and seeing if I can get it to charge anything. SO far, no real success. All the batteries I've attempted to charge go back to their original precharge voltage. But, pretty much all of my batteries are in pretty bad shape.
Good luck on trying stingo. I think two in one stingo is the best.

You get better results with gel battery if you add water or acid. But old gel battery usually very corroded and breaking the metal inside it, make it impossible to restore.