It is currently Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:24 pm

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Lighting a cfl
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:02 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
wow that looks pretty cool sucahyo. i will definately give that a go .is that a 12 volt battery you use?

Last edited by gizmobazz on Sat May 08, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:07 pm 

i have some info regarding the amperage of my circuit.
i couldnt get a low amp reading off my meter so i switched the meter to the 10amp max setting (included moving my positive clamp attach point also) and tested the circuit in different positions.
the first thing was that my 10 amp max went up to 11 amps on first connection.is that supposed to happen ,it says 10 amp max?

(i didnt use a diode as you suggest so maybe my readings were not correct)
seems to be an awfully high amperage reading,????????????

the transistor pin 1 that goes to base reads 11 amps ,thats full amps not milliamps.
the collector pin 3 reads 8.9 amps.
this next part is interesting as the wire that joins pin 1 to the next coil pin 4 reads, at first it quickly went to 14 amps and then flashed periodically to about 18amps then just went off scale completely.remember that pin 1 and 4 are joined together with wire but the readings were different when on pin 4 as to pin 1. doesn't seem possible???
pin 5 reads 3.6 amps.
i found this really unbelievable as i thought it would be in Milli amps only .
,maybe its cos i didnt use a diode?
i am glad i didnt destroy my gauge either being above its rated amperage?
at least i know that amps in my other builds has been the problem as i tested a couple and couldn't even get a milliamp reading.
So what to do next ,well i decided to attack my working model and remove the transformer.
i thought maybe if i document what ohms reading each coil section has i can find a transformer like it.
i separated the (pin 2) double wires , then measured each winding individually
1 & 2 = 0.8 ohm.... 2 & 3 = 1.0 ohm......and 4 & 5 = 2.3 ohm
now to start testing some, woohoo. if i can match all these readings or even get close then i may be in with a chance to replicate my build.
i will rewind the coils as you suggest sucahyo if it becomes necessary.and also use a diode and measure again.
thanks again :D :D :D

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:31 pm 

Have thanks: 12 time
Yes I use 12V battery, but as shown, it only have 9.5V useable voltage.

11 Amp between pin 1 to base is rather imaginable. it is impossible if we see it in ohm law. If it is true, it would be too high for the transistor and you must have very hot transistor and battery. I never exceed 5Amp with 0.6 ohm coil with single nicad. I doubt alkaline would go that high.

Try to measure between battery positive to pin 2. I imagine if the battery voltage is 1.25V then the current should be greater than 1 Amp.

How long can you lit the CFL with fresh battery?

Diode purposes is to rectify current just in case the "BEMF" mess up measurement. I mention it just in case you want to measure the high voltage part. But it seems the HV leaked everywhere.

The one that kill amp meter is prolonged use, since amp meter relay on resistor. If we load it too long it can burn to death.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:11 am 

Quote:
How long can you lit the CFL with fresh battery?

haven't tried it yet ..i have been playing with it 4 about 4 ..5 weeks and its still running good but i haven't left it on overnight as i didn't want to destroy it in case it damaged something. i will only do it when i get another copy to work successfully . then i will feel comfortable in letting it run for a long time ;)

just to note: nothing on my circuit gets even warm to touch .except the globe.

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 6:03 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
You cannot rely on readings from digital meters for pulsed DC as the refresh rate will cause strange results. Also radio frequency will also interfere.

If you use an analogue meter you will get a smoothed out reading, sort of an average, which is ok for the amps.

An oscilloscope is the only way we can see what is happening with the voltage. Alternatively you can connect the output to a cap and see how high it will charge as this will, given enough time, be close to peak voltage. Please be careful because if you over potentialise a cap it may explode and the energy at high voltages can kill.

I am not sure if ohms law applies. We cannot measure amps on the radiant so we have no idea of how to measure it. all we can do is measure the output once it has been converted to another form ie power in a battery or cap or heat and light output.

Any amps we can measure on the output is conventional electricity not radiant and I suspect that much of the light produced is coming from the radiant. However once the path has been created by the potential of the radiant it may be the case that the current flow is able to sustain the glow in the CFL. This is only my thoughts and cannot be taken as fact until we find a way to measure the radiant. Of course once we can do that we can rewrite the electrical text books.

Good work guys and keep posting

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:55 am 

Quote:
and the energy at high voltages can kill.

i can tell you it gives one hell of a boot when you touch the wrong bits.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
being very careful as always is hard when your working in miniature with big fingers :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 7:42 am 

Quote:
How did you use the CFL, by using its filament or shorting the filament?

did you remove the internal bits of your cfl sucahyo.

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 8:38 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
gizmobazz wrote:
just to note: nothing on my circuit gets even warm to touch .except the globe.
Congratulation :).

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 6:39 am 

well here it is the final 2nd cfl light build for me.i can now finally move on to another project.
its totally backwards to my other light and it doesnt even put out more that 8 volts but here it is lighting the cfl and working . so i give up trying to understand how and why and am just happy to have created another .
ive included this video just in case those who might be interested in this strange little bugger.
take care all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drOyzbgEQWs&feature=player_embedded

this is adesk lamp i made from a scanner tube light ,12 volts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALNzoqEtT-Y