It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:20 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Need some help with IRO-LITE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:13 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Highscores: 1
Hello All,

I have put togther the IROLITE and it acts odd. The relay speeds up and slows down all the time. It does light a CFL and sometimes it is VERY bright but it gets dim it's all over the place. Did I do something wrong? You can hear the relay slow down.

Any help would be great!

-Altrez

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Need some help with IRO-LITE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:16 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
Not sure if this is the answer but it may be due to heat. If the relay or coil gets hot the impedance will change, or it could be insulation breaking down in the coils.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:26 am 

the frequency of the IRO is set by the spring on the relay and the mass of the contact assembly, check for cracks on the spring or any loose parts.

I have reduced the mass of the contact assembly by fileing to increase speed and output in the past.

weaker spring = slower speed
lower mass = higher speed

If we could adjust the speed of the relay to the resonant frequency of the coil then i suspect our output would be much larger.
mbrownn has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:18 pm 

Hello mbrownn :D

Its been awhile sense we last talked! I have not taken apart the relay so I am not sure if the spring has cracks. The casing looks solid and the connections look good. When I first hook it up for about a second it will almost blind you.

And then it gets dim for a few minutes then gets really bright again. And so on, I only used a 100omh resistor on the snuffer I am not sure if that would make a difference. I do know that it happens the same way with three different relays.

The target battery does charge and like I said it does light. I just find it odd that three different relays all behave the exect same way. I also tested with two different ignition coils.

I just cant seem to totally replicate the light output that you see online. I know the IRO works I have been using it for a long time and it has baffled a lot of people. I just want to get constant light out put before I show anyone the IRO-LITE.

Would changing the resistor make a difference? If its a heat issue would not adding more resistance keep the current down in the spring?

Thanks!

-Altrez

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:27 pm 

Hmmm. If the light is changing so rapidly and distinctly and on three different relays, it is less likely to be one of the causes I gave above.

You do make a point about the resister. The energy stored in the snubbing capacitor is discharged across the contacts and the resistor controls the rate of discharge i.e. the amps in that discharge. It could be that the contacts are burning because of the amps in the discharge. Increasing the resistance would reduce this.

hope this helps

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:03 am 

Do you think it is the cap? I am not sure if I have installed it correctly. It has a positive an negative side but I could not figure out from the schematic how it should be placed so I guessed!

-Altrez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:55 am 

Ok it is a heat issue you where right. The relay gets hot it seems as if the snuffer has no effect? I must have it setup wrong but I cant see how. Its exactly like the video and schematic? I found this out by adding 100komh resistor with no effect.

Any help would be great!!!

-Altrez

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:22 am 

Ok I have got something really wrong. If I watch the video I have my IROL Setup exactly like 2:32 in the video. But if I read the schematic right located here http://d1190995.domaincentral.com.au/im ... ilator.JPG it is hooked up wrong when I compare it to the video? You can clearly see that they are using 87 in the video but the schematic says use 87a???

It looks like from the schematic and not from the video that 87a and 85 are on one side of the cap / restor setup and 30 86 are on the other? But the video is how I have mine setup and that is not what I see in the schematic? So witch one is right?

Thanks!

-Altrez
:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:51 am 

87a is what I used and the schematic looks good. can you post the link of the video so I know exaxtly what video you are looking at.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:51 pm 

Sure here it is: http://d1190995.domaincentral.com.au/page1.html

If you look at the video you can see that the relay diagram on the back is also labeled in a way that says use 87. If you look at your relay from the bottom the three pins are on the bottom and two are on the top. I have mine setup exactly like the video. But it says in the schematic to use 87a. It looks like to me in the video he is connected to the NO Contact labeled 87 at 2:41 of the video.

What am I missing?

Thank you for all the help.

-Altrez