It is currently Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:15 pm

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Show off your fans and circuits!
PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:07 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
You will need a trifilar wound fan for that and then use a cap dumping circuit. Have you ever thought the biggest waste of energy here is what passes through the coil and is shorted on the battery?

Try this http://www.falstad.com/circuit/#%24+1+1 ... .2+6+-1%0A

The only difference is two batteries in series for the supply and two in parallel being charged but also being charged by the supply as well as the spike. Much more efficient. The fan circuit is exactly the same (ignore the small cap it is only there so that the sim would run)
mbrownn has been thanked by:

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:40 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-mEq7GBzPA&feature=plcp

I thought this might work!!
motorheadv10 has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:05 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
Wow I have never seen that before

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 11:53 am 

Have thanks: 4 time
Just finished an attempt of Stargate 22's hex filler although it is a 5"comair rotron galaxy and it requires lots of volts to get all three neon to light(72) strange thing happened when I tweaked it one neon went from purple to bright white then the fan shutdown thought I had blown something although it still works it has happened before on a smaller fan.

I had a go at building a full bridge rectifier although the diode's must be too big because it didn't work oh well guess I'll learn that later.

Pretty happy with a working fan with help from you guys thanks to Mr B and Stargate 22 for their schematics and pics and advice.

Keep it coming.

G.

Attachments:
029.jpg
029.jpg [ 1.31 MiB | Viewed 1066 times ]
030.jpg
030.jpg [ 2.93 MiB | Viewed 1066 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:37 am 

Have thanks: 3 time
:D

Last edited by stargate22 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:04 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
I hate soldering. :D
I think I will make something more permanent now that I have it working.

Attachments:
mess.jpeg
mess.jpeg [ 177.2 KiB | Viewed 1031 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:05 am 

Last edited by stargate22 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:34 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
Thanks for pointing that out. You may be mistaken, or I might be. Maybe I should point out the way I have the transistor in the photo, the base
is on the left and the emitter is on the right. The diode is there, just a bit hard to see it, the stripe is on the side of the diode connected to the
base which is the left side in the photo, so the polarity should be correct, I think. Am I wrong? Have I misinterpreted which side of the transmitter
is the base and which side is the emitter? Since the collector covers the entire case of the transistor, I attached the line leading to the collector
at the closest spot on the transistor, though attaching that to the south side of it would have been more correct with the schematics.

Or.. I may have misunderstood the schematic on the bag it came in. It does seem odd, in a way, that they would show which pins are emitter and
base from the perspective of the pins facing upward instead of downward as I would expect their schematic to show the polarity from above
once the transmittor is soldered into place in a circuitboard. But I used Shiva's video to confirm and she's showing the transmittor legs up with
the polarity of the diode facing left, and the base and emitter are closest to the top side in her video, so I figured either I got it right, or she had
it wrong and I have it wrong the same way and so then does the circuit schematic, which means I've done the circuit right. :lol: I hope..

Yeah, that photo isn't so good either. I kind of posted that to say I think It's okay to get a bit messy on your first circuit. I should caution
people though, alligator clips are great for being able to make quick changes, but you have to really play with every connection and keep making
sure things are connected well enough and that the alligator clips don't touch something they shouldn't. People can kill transistors I hear,
assuming the bad connection is in just the wrong spot at the wrong time. What spot that would be, I don't know, but I imagine it being
related to the neon lamp that's meant to save the transmittor if something goes wrong.

Attachments:
transmittor.jpg
transmittor.jpg [ 22.47 KiB | Viewed 1024 times ]

Last edited by superdude on Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:54 am, edited 17 times in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:50 am 

Last edited by stargate22 on Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:22 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
stargate22 wrote:
Carry on ..... : ]
@2N3055 is one of the worst transistor to use. Try TIP41C instead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next