It is currently Tue May 23, 2017 12:38 pm

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Useful Software Programs, Hardware, and Tools Collection
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:16 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
mbrownn wrote:
Windows deregistered itself and shut down so I am giving a form of linux called Gnewsense a try, Its fast but I am having a lot of problems and could use help. How do you install something on linux?
I think you should try ubuntu or freebsd.

Instalation usually done online. There is a package manager that will download and install it for you. It will be available in the menu after that.

There is various GUI, each is very different to the other. Speed rely on the GUI software more than the choice of name.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 7:56 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
Yes I have switched to ubuntu amd am quite pleased so far but i have lots to learn.
mbrownn has been thanked by:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:35 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
FVD Converter for google chrome...just downloaded it right now myself.
it supposedly claims it can get any video downloaded on any page. seems to be swf files which i could not previously download on video download helper for firefox, though at the cost of not being able to download youtube videos whereas video downloadhelper does

update: yes FVD converter is great.
http://www.mediaplayerlite.net/please-wait
vlc does not play swf files

Last edited by sunrise07 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:48 am 

update:
http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index ... 849AA7kVyL
hotspotshield
http://www.hotspotshield.com

this is great in my opinion to protect against people that try to track your online browsing to their website while you stalk them for instance, maybe...not entirely sure.

myspace/weblog/etc trackers do exist. take a quick search to find them all.

update 1:32am 12/27/12:
the big issue with hotspot shield elite is 1) speculated to "ban" you from certain websites such as gaming websites that track you by ip strictly....suddenly this issue popped up
2) ads pop up

as for webcam camera spying, you can easily fix that by putting a "safe tape" over the camera lens. what i mean by safe tape is, you put a plastic cover on top first as a layer, then cover it with masking tape, so as to avoid damaging your lens with adhesive sticky glue.

update 5:48AM 1/1/12:
statcounter http://statcounter.com/

Last edited by sunrise07 on Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Skype Single Mega Post
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:53 am 

i would like to explain in very layman terms:
they make it seem more difficult than it has to be. usually you must sift through much junk facts and/or there is no guide plain put or you need to do outside research going through lengths such as googling search terms. The purpose of this guide is to save all that time for others to enjoy skype with less technical manhandling work doing that.

techniques covered:
*my user experience and technicality
*how i use skype in a "pro manner"
*how I can explain skype in a very easy condensed comprehensive format, guide-like, on all you really need to know for attaining a good intro level master skill.
*it should also be sort of like a user review same time that aims to convey my overall satisfaction with the product

Getting Started:
Read this OR alternatively read next section: getting started 2.

1. skype has a phone number which you can find on your skype.com account page.
to get there, type: skype.com in your browser

2. skype has all the advantage in cost effectiveness as of now 12/27/12.
it's pricing is ultra low around $2.99 a month all over US in range, or only $2.99 for credits plan which gives you ability to call anywhere in the world, for about 3 hours or so worth of calling time. compared to sprint's $19.99 a month rate for a single line for cell phone on a family plan, and that's only the family plan which is comparatively cheaper than other plans.

3. it may be helpful to learn about three techniques:
(easy. i have personally already done it in practice) 3-way calling
(easy, could be difficult if you have no know how)
calling international to other countries with added extensions to phone number: calling codes.
(medium) voice messaging
(my opinion more difficult, have not done it yet) answering response message

4. skype is able to be used on cell phones, but only problem is it will cost you more money than if you simply got the family plan $19.99. so defeats whole purpose.

Getting Started 2:
1. download and install the software.
you may need to download linux version of the software if you use linux, otherwise use and download the one that corresponds to your OS of choice. Right now I have more preference towards using windows 7 64 bit preinstalled because linux isn't faring as good as it should be and in my opinion, it should be replaced completely by a dead serious past sky is the limit, ultra advanced biotech based operating system, which since the computer industry is not doing well enough in that field, i personally am looking into jumping into working on that field myself.

2. I personally go with buying the credits as I hardly use the phone that much anyway and much goes to waste either way. I think optimistically, I save more this way due to hardly using it in a given month, mathematically finance calculated with projections. I probably use a cell phone no more than 1 hour in any given month on average.

3. I am not your typical cell phone user.

4. competitive rates of skype vs sprint.

Intermediate Topics:
1. the headset
picking a good headset relies on a good foresight judgment ahead of time often
personally, i believe that performance-wise, the dragon naturally speaking 12.0 headset that came shipped with it, had great performance value for accuracy in voice recognition. apply that for skype. you will have a much more clear voice output on the other end. signal strength.
great as it seems, however, there were a couple flaws with this and many other headsets.
the biological compatibility tests have time and time again shown that this may not thoroughly be perfect.
this could be due to my laptop not being hooked up to the actual circuitry of the house in a more explicit direct form, which is connected to my aulterra whole house plug. they say that there is real emf threat level on this. the scientific studies testifying against the harm of emf could be very well be based on biased reports because when the subject was taken out of the area of emf exposure, they no longer display the harmful effects attributed to emf. a lot of things that can go wrong in any study of interest.

another flaw is the headset not being wireless. wireless headsets allow for more convenience freedom flexibility due to ...not being on wires, meaning they're less hassle for me to look at or manipulate plus i can be farther away from computer a bit.

they say that wireless headsets actually make the corrupt signal strength stronger. going to need to check up on that myself by actually buying one. i need a new pc though! that is desktop to enable more enhanced study tests. I may end up needing to hook up the other amd athlon desktop pc to my qosmio gaming laptop to enable it to run like virtually, for my qosmio to work like a slave, but that's unfortunately going to take a heavy load of knowledge which i just don't have at the moment now.
Though at the same time, i wonder if my qosmio battery had been influenced to conform to a specific shape of energy release influenced by the aulterra whole house plug?

the other issue about this headset is the inconvenience attributed to it not being able to be switch turn off able at either a press of a button or switch moving. sometimes i don't want to use it sometimes i do. i suppose DNS may actually need more money in reality to fund those types of things.

voice clarity tests...i wonder what you can do on that.
sorry if i sounded nerdy about this whole post

updated 7am 12/27/12:
Skype Features Listed on Website:
caller ID, callforwarding skype to go, group video calls skype number voice messages

Last edited by sunrise07 on Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: new update 6.24 am 12.27.12
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:31 am 

more addon(s): lazarus form recovery...for advanced explanation why you'd want it i can explain later. however. it can either be good or bad for you. can slow your computer down severely or help you for some little mistake you made. data recovery

Found this neat little article here and my personal ratings:
http://theweek.com/article/index/238230 ... -have-apps

1. Gmail/Google Chrome: 9.5/10
what a surprise. something i always use everyday i use the computer with internet. in fact i am using it right now.

2. Instapaper: ?
i have never used it

3. Find My iPhone: ?
i have never used it. sounds great though for some, but not all.

4. Kindle: ?
never used it. all i suggest for now in ideas: is that they make the switch to special OLED display that provides perfect full spectrum lighting
should be able to be used in a bathtub safely and/or in a swimming pool.
more sky is past limit flexible functionality freedoms.

5. The Weather Channel:
i use weatherchannel.com now more than ever on average speak. i had known about them since around age 14? great place to get statistics, but by no means should one think of their statistics as perfect. i did a quick test outside the home and the actual temperature differed differently by a couple degrees. It's great for agricultural application, travel plans, meteorology studies, space research, and astronomy.

6. Tweetbot: never used it. i think it's not that great at all to match my personality. i am anti-twitter facebook type personality and am not an oversocial feminine persona/joker.
7. Netflix: sounds like a great idea except with the catch that you need a good internet speed to download the movies onto your hard drive. great alternative movie source beyond torrenting really, because it has many titles you couldn't ordinarily get off torrent for more variety and freedom to watch whatever you want to.
delivery version like blockbuster or the actual hard disk mailed to your door, not so much a great idea for guys like me who have technicality to simply use the internet. i'd say that is more for people with disabilities who would like accomodation. probably costs a lot more though. i wish i could get it, but you know time is money too, at same time to watch all those videos alongside health/family/social problems which are more urgent than watching videos freely all the time whenever i want.
8. Skype: i am considering getting into using this more and more.
9. Pandora+Dropbox: never used it. could it be of use? i'll let one of you decide if you can beat me to making that decision first.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 4:16 pm 

post on skype part 2:
http://community.skype.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-to-fine-my-skype-phone-number-to-use-for-free-skype-to-skype/td-p/840
this should explain in this quote right here:
"Unless you have purchased a Online Number, you have no telephone number and people would call you from Skype using your Skype name. At the bottom of this page, please click on the online numbers link under features for more information on Online Numbers." by UberOverLord

during installation, you may need to first register an account first before you are allowed download access. Please disregard above in red. Actually I found this out as update for 12.27.12 11:24AM: to reach this link from profile page on entering skype account, click this button link:

Under Manage Features Section:
button that has on it "skype number"
that leads to this page:
https://secure.skype.com/account?page=onlineNumber

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:00 am 

update 12/27/12:
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2012 ... line-chats

interesting note on that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2012 2:19 am 

Here is the charge and info of what is required at the next final step for making a skype phone number:
You are buying the Skype Number +1 area code *** ****
Skype Number, 3 month subscription, $18.00
Skype Number, 12 month subscription, $60.00
Please note: This is a recurring payment. You can cancel your subscription at any time.
Skype Number, 3 month subscription $18.00 0% VAT $0.00 Total $18.00
If you click here, your payment will be submitted
Billing Address *****
Change details *****
Paying with Visa ****
Change No emergency calls ****
No emergency calls Skype is not a replacement for your traditional telephone service and cannot be used for emergency calling ****

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:47 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
Skype is a very useful tool but I am looking for a free alternative that works on ubuntu and windows

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next