It is currently Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:53 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Help with Fan?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:41 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
Hi,

I was wondering if I could get a little help with my fan. I've built an SSG before, so I rewound the fan bifilar as per the video but litzed the wires together. I've checked many times but I can't seem to get it to spin. Is this photo correct or should I do something else? Thanks!

Mike
Trigger winding top to either side node on potentiometer?
Trigger winding bottom and Primary battery negative to emitter of transistor before diode?
Power winding bottom to collector of transistor before diode?
Charge battery positive after diode from collector?

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Help with Fan?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:38 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
It looks correct, try increasing the voltage. Is the fan magnetically locked or does it turn freely?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 7:32 am 

Ah, different forum, different topic, but same thanks again! :) Tried with about 26 V, same thing. The fan spins freely. I did just notice that I get the little "ping" when I connect the circuit and sometimes a tiny motion from the fan that in the SSG tells you it's connected okay and the transistor activates. But no joy when I spin the fan up as hard as I like it just freewheels to a stop. Thanks for the once over, mbrownn, makes me more confident to go over things in more detail now I know that's how it should go. 8-) Edit--got it going with different fan with the windings it came with :D , looks like the connections in the photo are correct, this thing has some power! Thanks!

Mike (aka Blargus)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:38 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
Sounds like the wires need swapping over. in one configuration the motor runs, in two others it spins freely and the fourth it locks up. Its worth checking your transistor too.

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 9:25 pm 

Ok, thanks, transistor is OK, it seems just this fan is the problem as I got it working with other fan. Good to know about the configurations!