It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:09 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: The lockridge device
PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:09 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
Im still here, no such thing as fall here, its summer all year around. :)

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:38 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
Good to hear from you again. Summer all year around. Must be nice. Lots of humidity, I would suppose.

Any thing new to report on the project. That we can run with.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2016 3:29 am 

Not really. The ideas need to be tested and worked out. Im sure once we get the final geometry of the motor generator the use of the Trifler coil and its specification will become obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:52 pm 

Finally found this site back. computer crashed. Back in business now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:56 pm 

Working on rewinding an armature. Series winding.

Mbrownn any pointers. From what I understand the series wound did arc at the brushes that's why they went to the

lap winding. Do you think it has it has to be wound for a 2pole or a four pole. Any suggestions. I want to heae your thoughts.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:26 pm 

Hi good to see you back.

The two common windings are known as Lap and Wave windings, both are designed to reduce arcing although the Lap winding is best at that. If you google the terms you will see the method of winding. The problem with reducing arcing is that you cannot recover much energy from inductive kickback. I propose simple winding, it arcs really badly and so there is lots of energy to recover. This does require a second set of brushes to recover this energy and so we have exactly the configuration of brushes as shown in JB's video.

Take a look at this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9CLtlkl6fM At 10 mins into the video he shows the simple winding that I used. It has superior torque to lap windings and will draw huge current but dont worry as the speed increases the current drops. I ran the motor satisfactorily on 3 to 4 volts.

You will see huge arcing so dont run it long or your commutator and brushes will burn up. Install recovery brushes and see how much power you can recover. At high speeds it will be more efficient as you approach the natural resonant frequency of the coil. To be honest I dont think I ever got it on the resonant frequency as the speed was too high and the thing would have flown apart but I reached a harmonic of the resonant frequency.

Listen to the motor, you may hear a waaaawaaawaawa as the thing accelerates. You will find the maximum recovery coincides with a particular sound. This will be a harmonic of the resonant frequency. If you cant hear this sound I will tell you how to use a speaker to achieve it, sort of a stethoscope hahaha

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:57 pm 

Thanks again for the advice. Will take a look at the video.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:06 pm 

Watched the video a couple of times. Looks like the comm sections are wired in at 180 degrees instead of 90 degrees. Which would lie between the 2 poles on each side. Power in on the pos brush splits the armature in
half. North on one side and south on the other.

I have a couple of small heater motors to try it on before I wind the bigger armature. So will see how it goes.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 pm 

Correct it is a 2 pole simple armature in a 4 pole stator.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:35 pm 

The video shows 2 magnets in the housing. Where do you get 4 pole from. Just wondering.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 60, 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next