It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:11 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Top Asked Questions - Part 1
PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:10 am 
Imhotep's Woman

Have thanks: 11 time
These are the top Questions asked. And the answers. Please read through this thread before starting a new thread. Most questions have been answered. Dont be afraid to post your questions if you have any that arent listed here.

Q : The fan I have has 3 posts like you have in the video. So If I understand what you did was to put posts to each of the 4 ends of the coils. Did you cut the traces from the circuit when you did this? I am considering doing what you did as I like the concept, only I will use hot melt glue to hold the post in place.

Any tips as to how to determine where to cut the coils apart?

A : Actually what I did is carefully take off the circuit board and left the wires on the existing posts.

Most of these appear to be dual phase coils, which means theres 2 outside end of coil wraps on two of the post that are already there and the inside wraps (beginning of the coils) on my versions were wrapped together on the third post.

If you take a magnifier and look at the three post that are existing you will see 2 wires on one of the three posts. (yes they are extremely fine, which is why a magnifier is a must) and i left the coils the way they were, cause they were already designed for these machines and if you look at the label you will see what kind of current they drew originally so you will know what kind of current to expect out of them.

Makes things easier. Some of these are bi-filier and some are single wound. That really doesnt matter , what does matter is one of the post will most likely have 2 wires on it.

If it does, carefully take a fine tip soldering iron and start to heat it taking care not to melt the plastic and unwind the two fine wires from that post and then gently separate them with the fine tip of the soldering iron, pay attention to your heat and if the plastic starts to get a little mushy where the post is, pull off and let it cool for a second and then try it again.

Once you get the two off the post and separated, wind one back on gently, if there is a 4th plastic post with no wire post on it, the easiest way to add a 4th wire post is to do the method on the film where you are just taking the diode and gripping with hemostats to absorb the heat so you dont burn your fingers and pressing it into the plastic.

I started a hole with a small drill bit glued into a plastic wire nut. and just started to turn it in the center of the 4th plastic support that had no post on it. that keeps it centered and you have a better chance of getting it right. Gently push with the hemostats as you are heating it with the soldering iron, just about 1/16th to a 1/8th inch into the plastic so it will be rigid.

And then clip it off at the same height of the other ones. This is the best method I have tried. Then wrap the 2nd wire you took off the post and wrap it around that one. now you have 2 sets of coils that were designed for that stator. Put a little solder on it, and add your wires using an ohm meter to check continuity.

************************************************************************************

Q : I cannot get the coil assembly off because on the inside end of the shaft it has a black piece fastened to it that is preventing the assembly from being removed, any advice?

A : I have had tough rotors, i had to sometimes very carefully use large pliers to grip on to rotor laminations, be careful you might also try gently heating the lamination with a hair dryer, some have been glued the hair dryer will soften the glue then twist, if its warm use a rag or something so you dont burn yourself, on the computer fans the stator assembly is mounted with 3 or 4 delicate plastic supports to the outside parameter i have smashed one of them, but i still got it to go with a little ingenuity i just took a piece of house wiring and twisted it into a tesla pancake coil, striped the circuit board and soldered it to it as a stand. Then ran my wires out to the bendini circuit. its kinda of dangerous that one is. But i never give up and i was gonna use this one cause it had nice big coils. Never the less some of them are gonna be tough to get off, be creative and be careful and if you do destroy this one you can get these fans everywhere.

**************************************************************************************

Q : Do I have to use the Neon? Can I use a normal bulb as an indicator?

A : No, you cannot use a regular bulb. The neon is merely a protection device to protect the transistor from the coil collapse. You can run the fans without the neon but you need to make sure that you never turn the fan on without having the battery in place to take the charge and turn the fan off before disconnecting the battery. The neon also acts as a visual indicator to show the coil collapse spikes that the fan is producing so you can adjust the fan to create the most amount of spike

use link above to visit main site
**~Shiva~** has been thanked by:

Profile Send private message  

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]