It is currently Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:57 pm

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Re: Battery Failure
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 1:27 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
Yesterday I pry open another bad battery, measured 5.5V without load and 0.2V with light bulb as load. It is a dead SLA.

I add drinking water until it's full and then start charging it with my sting oscillator+correa's converter. I forgot to turn it off last night. This morning it measured 9.5V without load and 2.5V with light bulb as load, litting it dimly. Circuit input is 400mA @ 12V.

The water level is dropping. I guess the water get absorbed to replace missing hydrogen which said to be the main cause of broken SLA.

Will swap to DC charging and see how much voltage it can absorb now.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:21 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
drinking water is not good for battery because of dissolved metals, metal salts and alkaline substances. best to use distilled or even water from an aircon unit (although that will have trace metals).

The water will dilute the acid but as the sulphate breaks down the acid strength will start to return. the water also will be broken down by electrolysis. Radiant chargers don't cause as much off-gassing even though they can be tuned to produce HHO (Browns gas) when at the correct frequency.

Keep using the radiant and dive the battery up to full voltage. this may take weeks on a bad battery with a small radiant charger.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:37 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
Not according to Energenx manual:
Quote:
Continued charging, however, with the RenaissanceTM Charger is not recommended for these batteries because of the offgassing that occurs as a side effect of this process. charger is not designed for use with sealed (non refillable) or maintenance free lead-acid batteries. Although it maybe advantageous to use this charger at times on heavily sulfated batteries of this type, consistent charging with this charger may cause excessive venting (offgassing), shortening the life of these batteries.

But since I add water, it should be fine. I am not too worried about the substance in the water since the battery already dead.

If I charge it with radiant 24 hours, I think it can be full in three days. After 4 hours charging today with DC, the standing voltage is 9.98V and 5.51V with light bulb as load which lit rather bright. Good enough for dead battery. The battery feel warm with just this 4 hours....

BTW, this is what I use: