It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:04 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: sunrise's questions on batteries, major thread
PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:58 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
Quality in your answer is more important than answering every question.

Question 1:
What is a stingo? Exactly what is it? Encyclopedia-like comprehensive explanation.

Question 2:
What are all the causes of battery lifespan limits? Why does it die?

Question 3:
How exactly do you fix and repair batteries? Complete answers are desired. Every method and recommendations on the best one would be excellent.

Question 4: Is it true that increasing voltage for a battery's decharging/charging would decrease its lifespan? Also would it decrease energy efficiency, via wasted energy in the form of heat/radiation?

totally optional, don't answer this one until I ask on this one again later.
Question 5: Explain AC and DC comprehensively.

Question 6: Is it possible to recharge a battery and decharge it(use it) at the same time?

Question 7: How is it possible to recharge an unchargable battery? That's so weird of a concept bc it's an unchargable battery. How do you do that? You get leaks? Then why do it? Do you wish to find the ideal voltage at which point it won't leak anymore.

Question 8: What is the best method of battery lifespan extension? Do you have to use it less? Is it true that if you leave a battery alone though never using it for anything, it dies? Using it more will help it not die as fast? Charge % has to be over what value in order for it to last long or forever. I'm looking for methods of making a battery last forever.

Question 9: What is the thing called that allows you to join multiple low voltage circuits into one huge circuit? I know just basic voltage/circuit theory.

Question 10: Are they making computers more able to run on low voltages? I would really love more low voltage energy efficient appliances. What is the method for doing this? Using a lot more quantity of simultaneous "voltage pumps/motors" while decreasing their
respective individual voltages.

Question 11: Compare AC and DC. How much energy loss does AC create as compared to DC over various distances, like 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m, 50m, 100m, 500m, and 1000m, while transferring the same voltage of current? Does DC waste more energy through heat? Does AC waste more energy via radiation? Answer them as best as possible.

Thank you for your responses!

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: sunrise's questions on batteries, major thread
PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 4:31 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
Help guys give me a little help here

As you require exact answers, in most cases I will refer you to experts in the field as I am not the most knowledgeable, but I will help where I can.

Question 1:
What is a stingo? Exactly what is it? Encyclopedia-like comprehensive explanation.
Better to ask the inventor, I believe it is sucahyo on this forum.

Question 2:
What are all the causes of battery lifespan limits? Why does it die?
It depends upon the type of battery but in general these are common causes of battery failure. Better to refer to the manufacturers.
Abuse and misuse.
Overcharging, refer to battery-faqs-t106.htm
Over discharging refer to battery-faqs-t106.htm
Shorting or too high discharge rate/charge rate
Neglect
Extreme temperature

Question 3:
How exactly do you fix and repair batteries? Complete answers are desired. Every method and recommendations on the best one would be excellent.
It depends upon the type of battery; most are not repairable for physical damage. Refer to manufacturer.
De-sulfation in lead acid batteries can occur by using a radiant charger; It does this by dislodging the lead sulphate from the plate allowing the acid to come into contact with the plate media.
It is also possible to improve the matrix/grain structure of the plates by radiant charging. The finer the grain/crystal size, the greater the surface area. Greater surface area will give a greater capacity and higher cranking amps. John Bedini is the expert here.
Dendrite formation can also be reversed by the same process. A dendrite is a treelike structure that grows on the plates, during normal charging and discharging that can cause the plates to short out. This usually manifests itself by a battery that won’t hold a charge.

Question 4: Is it true that increasing voltage for a battery's decharging/charging would decrease its lifespan? Also would it decrease energy efficiency, via wasted energy in the form of heat/radiation?
Yes generally, but there are exceptions like cell balancing etc.

totally optional, don't answer this one until I ask on this one again later.
Question 5: Explain AC and DC comprehensively.

Question 6: Is it possible to recharge a battery and discharge it(use it) at the same time?
No, the ions can only move in one direction at a time. People that believe they are doing this are either supplying enough input to cover the discharge and charge at the same time or are oscillating the battery between charge and discharge. Depending upon the energy of this oscillation, this can be destructive to the battery causing it to break down. In lead acid batteries it can cause a break up of the plate media as the shock waves dislodge pieces from the plates. It can also cause fracturing of the ionic compounds in the electrolyte causing off gassing etc.

Question 7: How is it possible to recharge an unchargable battery? That's so weird of a concept bc it's an unchargable battery. How do you do that? You get leaks? Then why do it? Do you wish to find the ideal voltage at which point it won't leak anymore.

Depends upon what you mean by un-chargeable?
Desulfating a rechargeable lead acid battery will allow a battery that cannot be charged by conventional means to be recharged. With NiCad batteries, as with lead acid, dendrites can be broken down. This may be true of other types of batteries too. Alkaline batteries that are not normally rechargeable can also be recharged but I am not familiar with how radiant chargers do it, only that they can do it.

Question 8: What is the best method of battery lifespan extension?
Use the battery within its Ideal design parameters. Do not over charge/discharge the battery. Use the best charge/discharge rate. With lead acid batteries that is a C20 charge and discharge rate. A C20 rate is calculated by measuring the cold cranking amps of the battery, dividing it by 20 to give the amp hour rating and then dividing that by 20 to give the number of amps that can be safely drawn in continuous fashion without permanently damaging the battery.
Radiant chargers can extent the life of lead acid batteries by restructuring the grain structure of the battery plates as explained above. Alkalines can be extended by recharging them.

Do you have to use it less?
No

Is it true that if you leave a battery alone though never using it for anything, it dies?
Yes

Using it more will help it not die as fast?
Yes and no, it depends upon the type of battery.

Charge % has to be over what value in order for it to last long or forever. I'm looking for methods of making a battery last forever.
I don’t think we have that technology.

Question 9: What is the thing called that allows you to join multiple low voltage circuits into one huge circuit? I know just basic voltage/circuit theory.

Question 10: Are they making computers more able to run on low voltages? I would really love more low voltage energy efficient appliances. What is the method for doing this? Using a lot more quantity of simultaneous "voltage pumps/motors" while decreasing their respective individual voltages.
Yes, Nanotechnology and improving efficiencies. Much more could be done if the physics of electrical theory was re written to include what has already been proven.

Question 11: Compare AC and DC. How much energy loss does AC create as compared to DC over various distances, like 1m, 2m, 5m, 10m, 15m, 20m, 50m, 100m, 500m, and 1000m, while transferring the same voltage of current? Does DC waste more energy through heat? Does AC waste more energy via radiation? Answer them as best as possible.
Hehe I suggest you study Nicola Tesla, This would fill a telephone book.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:34 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
Question 1:
Stingo is a self oscillating circuit. It produce 1% duty cycle sharp spike that make it more efficient than joule thief, another radiant circuit. Other special property are current comsumption will reduce with load. With car coil it can function as spark generator, CFL lighter or corona maker. It can also be used to turn stepper motor. The main use is for charger with currently two option of circuit, one diode or half capped FWBR, later one is best for battery. It can charge battery with very little heat and considerably faster than commercial charger.

Question 2:
Most battery die because of rust / corrotion. The rust of the electrode short the cell or disconnect it from the rest. Battery with good life is deep cycle battery where the design try to avoid rust problem. Sulfation also prevent more charging, but if radiant charger is used, sulfation is not an issue.

Question 3:
We fix battery by replacing corroded electrode, desulfating it, or replacing the liquid. Corroded part can only be replaced, but replacing can be hard, never do it my self, but in here it cost $3. Desulfating can be done with available desulfator or radiant circuit.

Question 4:
My nimh have higher voltage and longer life than when I first use it. Radiant circuit can lengthen charge and life. But on sealed lead acid, radiant can turn battery into capacitor, high standing voltage but can not power anything, especially when using one diode version.

Question 5:
AC = current that the polarity swing across zero voltage. DC = current that the polarity never swing accross zero voltage. Both can have sine wave or square wave but only AC must have frequency.

Question 6:
We can charge and discharge battery at the same time, but some believe it can ruin battery.

Question 7:
Battery is called unchargeable only because usually it can not be charged. Battery will leak happen because electrolysis process happen inside the battery. When the battery is fully charged, bubble of hydrogen and oxygen will be formed by the charge current, vaporising the battery electrolyte. If it happen excessively, the hydrogen will escape, and sometimes produce explosion (in lithium type). This is the reason not to overcharge.

You can get more information on battery on http://batteryuniversity.com/

Question 8:
My method of lengthening battery life:
- don't charge while in use / discharging
- limit current use, rule of thumb is to use only 5% of its capacity. 7Ah, use it at 350mA.
- don't over charge, don't over discharge
- for non liquid battery, minimize the number charging time

Bedini suggest to never leave lead acid battery sit idle with empty charge.

Question 9:
I am not sure what you mean by combining low voltage circuit. Just parallel them to let them use same power, I use FWBR combiner to join radiant circuit output.

Question 10:
Some of off the shelf appliance has option for 12V source. We need to find the one that provide that option.

Question 11:
Transfering energy to longer distance is more efficient to be done in high voltage because of eddy losses. Wasted heat is proportional to current. high voltage is easily done with AC. So transfering electricity is better be done with AC.

I don't think it wouldn't differ much if voltage and current is the same, but transferring 10A current at 12V require much thicker wire no matter if it is DC or AC than transferring 1A current at 120V.

Sucahyo

PostPosted: Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:07 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
Hi sucahyo, thanks for assisting with your reply.

I find your answer on question 4 interesting. I too have experienced this with gel type lead acid batteries many times. When charging they charge normally at first but if the input is higher than C30 I find that the charge suddenly starts to rise rapidly. If and when this happens the battery becomes useless, I have seen 65 volts on a battery left overnight. When I remove the charger the voltage returns to near normal but the battery has no capacity. I will no longer work with gel batteries.

Being curious I have dismantled a few of these batteries and found that the gel has dried out on the face of the plates so that there is little or no moisture to interact with the plates.

The worst case I had, was when I used a bridge rectifier from one of my fans, the gel had almost completely crystallized.

John Bedini states that negative radiant energy does this to a gel battery, if I understand him correctly this is where the spike goes negative when using a bridge rectifier across the coil.

When I last looked at your advanced stingo, I noticed that you had capacitors that would convert this negative radiant to normal electricity before hitting the battery. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I have never experienced this on a wet lead acid battery

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 2:25 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
I think gel battery can be dead from this additional thing:
- gel run out of water
- uses of only radiant

The first one is unavoidable because once battery gets full, the water in the gel start to separate into H2 and O2 and escaping the cell. In wet lead acid we can just add water, but in gell cell, there is no additional water.

I add water to my gel cell. But even then I still experiencing the second one. Battery has high voltage charge but can not power anything.

Capacitor in parallel solve it, but also heat the battery just like normal charger. Then I found that by using FWBR, that has capacitor in series only to block DC from source battery, can charge the battery good and also cool and faster like usual.

The efficiency with partially capped FWBR usually 10% lower than single diode.

I think your first case is overcharging, the second one is battery turning into capacitor.

Interesting info on crystalization, I observe crystal to form on some of my capacitor...

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:32 pm 

Have thanks: 1 time
Great answers. Thank you.

I will read more on batteries from howthingswork.com