It is currently Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:45 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next
 Post subject: Re: The lockridge device
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2017 6:50 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
I did manage to get a small armature rewound out of an electric cooling fan for automobile radiators. It has 10 slots and 10 comm bars. Wound it like the video showed. It works pretty good. Really fast rpm. Housing has 2 magnets. I made the case so I could turn I while it was running. Initial start brushes were set in between the poles. Starts out slow but increases in speed to a hi rpm. No sparking on the brushes. Actually runs nice. Takes about 2.5---3.5 amps to run it. So it does get warm. All the comm segments were wound inline with the slots in the armature.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:45 pm 

I did another experiment. I took every other comm segment and loosened it from the comm segment and soldered the wires together from a stock lap wound gm gen armature. Brushes sitting at the center of the pole shoes. Turns very slow and not much arcing at the brushes. ( using a dc battery). Had to move the brushes to get some arcing but then didn't want to rotate. 14 arm slot and 28 bars so only 14 were left connected to the commutator.

Next step is to wind another stock GM armature like the video showed leaving 1 comm section blank. will see how that works. If that don't work then whind one in series.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:53 pm 

The older vw armatures had many more slot and bars than the stock gm versions. Im guessing around 32 slots. So we may need to find an armature with more slots and bars to get any speed out of it.

Using what we have works on 2 pole motors but falls down when using the 4 pole systems like the MGD. Unless we need to wind them for 4 pole pitch. But the we don't have enough arm slots for it to come out right. just some observations.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:06 pm 

I had a little conversation with wantomake (PM) on EF forum. Found out the slot and bar number on his VW generator
is 30 bars and slots. With his info I went through my armatures and found one of my vw armatures. That I had in the junk bin. Looking at it the comm slots are really narrow. What I see is that there is no room to use one feed brush and one pickup brush. So what they had to do is use 2 commutator segments on each winding for the brush to rest on. 30 comm slot divided in half leaves us 15 with 2 bars per brush leaves us 7 windings -----(same as the stock delco armature used by L/R) only then using one bar per winding.

The original L/R With the 2 bars per winding would leave us with 1 set left for the pulse to be incorporated in to the armature.

Help me figure this out Mbrownn. Thanks Hiwater

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:15 pm 

In the original stock vw generator the brushes must have been wide enough to rest on 2 comm bars from the factory.

From looking at some of my other armatures with narrow comm bars , the brushes rest on 2 or maybe even 3 bars.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 4:05 pm 

Hey Hiwater,
The comm and brush problems I tried to fix by using two comms(one on each end) and two brushes at each end cap. Trying to incorporate the UFOPOLITICS style rotor setup. The old military dynamo(got one from ebay) has this setup. The dynamo motors at 24 vdc then outputs 130-200 (?) Vac. But the amperage output is really low.

Not sure this helps any.
wantomake

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:26 pm 

Wantomake. that helps a great deal. Im narrowing this down as to why the delco armature was used.

Next thing is to figure out how many pulses were wound into the armature. Or if it was wound in series with one comm segment left blank just on 1 side. Either under the pos or neg brush.

Help me figure out the pulses. It kind of confusing. Thanks for the Input. Hiwater

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:36 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
Sorry I didnt get an alert that you guys are posting here.

Wantomake, those Dynomotors use some of the same principals as what I think the lockridge does but most of its operation is different. I wont go into it here so as not to confuse.

The lockridge, as I see it, has two halves which appear to operate differently. For this to work the case has to be split. Lets concentrate on the half that provides rotation and generation. So in one half of the device we have 2 pole pieces set at 90 degrees to each other. One is powered, the other is a generator. The armature is wound in its simplest form as I have described before as a 2 pole armature. This again is essential.

The armature is powered as the windings on the armature pass the pole piece that is the generator. This causes generation in the conventional manor, but also causes rotation as the pole on the armature wants to align with the generator pole. You can see this with the CAD drawings I posted earlier. Powering the other field coil causes a higher magnetic flux and so more torque and generation. It really is that simple. Once you get this running im sure the penny will drop.

Attachments:
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg [ 89.28 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 2:54 am 

Have thanks: 27 time
If you have two or three blank segments between each powered segment it will pulse.

The above motor will work at 3 or 4 volts but when pulsing you will need to increase the voltage.

Before you get into that you need the recovery brushes in place or you will burn out your comutator.

Wantomake The armature on the dynamotor is double wound to have transformer actions in the armature. The problem with it is that the resistance is way too high, hence the output is feeble. My device puts the transformer actions into the second half of the motor but the principal is the same. Low resistance is key to getting the output we want but we have to control the current to stop it burning up. It is the impedance of the coil in henry’s and the speed of the motor that limits the current, not the resistance of the windings as we have in the dynomotor. Thats one of the reasons the dynomotor is not overunity.

I believe the Dynamotor is a direct descendant of a Tesla Motor Generator but thats for another thread.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:23 pm 

mbrownn,
With all due respect, your CAD is a mere postulation and not based on fact through testing or building. I'm not an engineer nor am I trained in electronics, but I do build and test as I build. There is more to flux lines and what influences them in this motor generator.

There's too many questions unanswered in this long discussion of this Lockridge device. And the John Bedini video only presents a device that it's former owner could not get to operate.

The motoring part is not difficult. Take any old delco generator, connected to a 12 vdc battery and it turns. I have a MY1016 modified scooter motor with four brushes, four magnets, rewound with trifilar coils. I turned two brushes into collection or recovery brushes. Two brushes to motor the unit. No body cares about overunity at this point. The motor produced high voltage but arched and burned the motoring brushes. The problem is not motoring or power generation, it's the storage and recycling of the energy to be used by the motoring side of the lockridge device. If we discover how the coil/capacitor collects, stores, and releases energy at the same time then the penny will drop.

Show me your work or bench setup of your ideas. Thats what is needed here. I've spent a couple thousand dollars and two years on this project. That's why, as you can read, I'm frustrated to see more of your same type discussion. Again with all due respect,

wantomake

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 662 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 61, 62, 63, 64, 65, 66, 67  Next