It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: understanding schematics
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 4:20 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
With heavily sulphated car batteries these chargers will have a hard time as they are very small,

Why did you replace the batteries?

If they are swollen, the likelihood is the plates are damaged and maybe a cell is shorted. if so you will get little response from that cell

Check the acid level and top up with distilled water if necessary.

old batteries often fail because of dendrite formation (little trees of crystals which short the cell) these then get hot and melt the lead forming a heavy short and ruin the cell. Radiant chargers seam to break up the dendrites bringing the battery back to life but only if the cell does not have a heavy short.

A symptom of this would be a battery that charges up normally but goes flat after a day or so. Sulphation has a similar effect.

Do not throw out batteries that are down on one cell but have lots of capacity. I use two 65Ah batteries that have each lost a cell. I put them in series and power my radiant charger with them.

The little secret with these chargers is that they cause negative resistance in the batteries. That,s where the over unity is, in the battery charging method.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 10:16 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
the reason the batteries were replaced was that they no longer would be able to crank over the starter motor and would not fully charge.they had reached their normal use by date , about 4 years of use in the cars.
it seems that already my battery has now exceeded 12 volts in charge capacity . i have left it off the charger overnight to see it it would hold that charge .i am glad to report that still this morning the battery is about 12.6 volts.when it wouldnt before get above 11.9.
the charger works,yippee.
i will now put it again on charge and charge it for a longer period (more than a couple of hours).

i have now rigged up a 12 volt supply(old pc type power supply) that can power the unit for tests
like this too.

as i progress with this stuff i will endeavor to build some better coils and maybe get into solid state charging. now i know for sure it works (and its working very well)

once again thanks for all your helpful advice Mick

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:33 am 

Great news

Next step, Battery conditioning.

A lead acid battery can be made to improve its capacity and charge a little faster by radiant charging; however it may charge a little slower when put back on normal charging at first. The increased capacity will also reduce when charging normally.

Remember, to bring a lead acid battery to full capacity you have to drive its charge to as high a voltage as possible just one time, and then discharge no more than 10% of its voltage (I use 5 to 7%). Then cycle it 6 or 8 more times and the battery should be conditioned.

Next problem; Is the battery sealed?

Some sealed batteries are just lead acid batteries, just break the seal and treat them as a normal battery.

Some sealed batteries are gel type batteries (the acid is a gel not a liquid) They are usually slightly smaller and lighter than a standard battery. I have found that driving the battery voltage above the recommend charging voltage for these types causes the gel to crystallize and destroys the battery. Also repeated charging had the same effect.

If it is a gel battery i recommend reverting to normal charging as soon as it will take it.

Next, Is it a lead calcium battery?

These have a slightly higher charging voltage (14.8+ instead of 14.4) It usually gives the charging voltage on the label. you may also see the marks PbCa or CCA on these batteries. They can use acid or gel as the electrolyte. Obviously if it is a lead calcium battery it will not be fully charged at 14.4 volts and needs to be taken to its charging voltage.

If your radiant charger lacks the power to bring the battery up to its charging voltage (14.4v+), just periodically let the battery rest for a few hours and measure the standing voltage. This should be 12.7 for lead acid and 13+ for lead calcium provided that the electrolyte is at its correct strength.

have fun

Mick

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:01 pm 

Have thanks: 2 time
Highscores: 3
Success mbrown, I built a working relay charger. This is so liberating. Ok, so now I need to get my questions straight, so as to find out how to properly know whats going on with this charger. Stay tuned as I will have many little specific questions. And thanks for your incouragement. It was greatly needed.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 3:50 am 

homie12 wrote:
Success mbrown, I built a working relay charger. This is so liberating. Ok, so now I need to get my questions straight, so as to find out how to properly know whats going on with this charger. Stay tuned as I will have many little specific questions. And thanks for your incouragement. It was greatly needed.

Your welcome, The relay charger is an excellent device although a little noisy.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:22 am 

i stuffed it in a sock :) it got quiet then

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:41 pm 

homie12 wrote:
i stuffed it in a sock :) it got quiet then

:lol: :lol: :lol: great idea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:24 pm 

Oh herews the discussion I wanted to have or 1 of them. The amp ratings on relays are for how much current the wire and the switch can carry and not the size of the coil, since its just an em switch? Im using a 20/ 30 amp relay. What do you think performance difference would be from the 40a you suggest to use in the video?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:34 am 

homie12 wrote:
Oh herews the discussion I wanted to have or 1 of them. The amp ratings on relays are for how much current the wire and the switch can carry and not the size of the coil, since its just an em switch? Im using a 20/ 30 amp relay. What do you think performance difference would be from the 40a you suggest to use in the video?

What you need to look for is a large coil, low resistance and high oscillation speed. Using an automotive relay I place a large coil in parallel to the relay coil and get great results.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:38 am 

Oh wow, I feel I almost understand you. Now I just need a little formal education of fundementals of electricity. I am electronics stupid. I have to relate it to flowing water.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next