It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 1:17 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: understanding schematics
PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:34 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
I would suggest 1000v but when I built it I used the condenser from an ignition system, I don't know what they are. It may be ok at 100v.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2013 12:44 pm 

Have thanks: 0 time
so they r both 1 mf & about 1000v?
i thought the one on relai is smaller one??

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:49 pm 

I think the condensers I use are 2.5uf, they are the standard ones from a car. Imhotep has specified what he used on this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... oJ9gCk2Rk#! here he states 4.7uf at 160v

Must of Imhoteps videos can be found on his site here http://d1190995.domaincentral.com.au/page1.html

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:56 pm 

That´s exactly the video i´ve started from. And i didn´t understand where I had to place the snubber from the video. I did manage to make a `relai oscillator`, and i´m trying to built `Imhoteps oscillator lite`now, from the diagram you gave me, but its shorting out. I did use other condensors, as I am having a hard time finding condensors you use. I had 4 2.2uf 100v in series on relai side, and one 560 uf 200v on ignition side. I also have a smaller relai - 12v 20/30A with original 87a closet contact. I can't find the relai that was on the diagram in the video. I guess i'll try another condensors first..

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:39 pm 

The condensers I use are automotive. I use a coil and a condenser from a Suzuki mini truck.

If you do not use a condensor you may get better results but your relay will suffer burning out the contacts. Effectively what we have is a Tesla coil being run from 12v, I have achieved 2.5cm arcs with no problem, lit fluorescent tubes with only one wire and thrown myself across the room :lol:

Basically you place the snubber capacitor across the contacts of the relay, I did not use a resistor. The ignition coil can be placed in series with the relay or in parallel with the relay coil, try both methods and see what works best for you.

Typically an ignition coil is a 100 to 1 transformer so on AC it will give 1200v but when we pulse it with a very high impedance load some special things happen. It is just the same as a basic ignition circuit.

With sharp on off switching we get a phenomenon called inductive kickback which is equal in power to our input. this inductive kickback is special in that it will raise its voltage to overcome any resistance in a load. Because of this when we have an air gap as a load which is several mega ohms in resistance the voltage typically rises to 25000v. All this is perfectly normal.

The unusual thing is the single wire transmission of power. As you know "normal" electricity requires a conductive path but somehow this electricity can pass through an air gap or vacuum without requiring an arc and the power flows. There is some radio waves produced but the rest is radiant electricity. If we do have a conductive path, we experience "Normal" electricity.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:31 pm 

Thank you Mbrown, thats really bright explanation.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:05 pm 

I got everything runing, but i cant find how to place the snoober, where ever i place it, relai keeping arching, geting warm and stops in 15 min. Would u be so kind to tel me where exactly r u placing the snoober, is that between contacts 87a & 30??? i have my ignition in paralel with relai and its lighting 40w tl easy. i would like to try the series next, but i'm afreid my relai woudnt les long without the snoober. Thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:38 am 

I use an automotive condenser and place it across the 30 and 87a contacts. You do get a small amount of arcing but less than without. Imhotep tuned his device to get the minimum arc so if you have the exact coils as he has you use the exact capacitor, otherwise it is a little trial and error.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2013 1:56 am 

Have thanks: 12 time
mbrownn wrote:
I use an automotive condenser and place it across the 30 and 87a contacts. You do get a small amount of arcing but less than without. Imhotep tuned his device to get the minimum arc so if you have the exact coils as he has you use the exact capacitor, otherwise it is a little trial and error.
Is this the correct way to do it?

I would prefer to use the relay to drive a transistor.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:18 pm 

There are many ways to do it. The advantage to relay switching is the abruptness of the switch, placing a transistor in the circuit does tend to reduce the effect a little due to internal resistance and a more rounded transition from on to off etc. Its not that transistors cant do the frequency, in fact they are far superior, its that there is a more rounded transition.

In low power devices we need all the help we can get so I tend to like mechanical switching. As the supply voltage increases the arc itself starts to round off the switching so our advantage isn't much

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 49 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next