It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:11 pm

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: Useful Software Programs, Hardware, and Tools Collection
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:06 am 

Have thanks: 1 time
This is all for Microsoft Windows Environment, the mainstream OS. I am typing this all up from scratch top of head, in a renewed fashion, though having been typing this list up over and over again and downloading it over and over again upon each reformat of my hard disk/OS.

Technology related Pay to Use:
1. qucs (freeware)
It is a schematic diagram maker. I don't seem to be able to find a windows version. sucahyo was not very helpful with this
2. CAD.
I have not used this much. I have used it in college once for intro course. Rotated stuff around. The way he taught things felt a bit lesser for juveniles and quick + dirty.
3. AutoDesk.
Found this. It seems like an advanced design tool.
4. Graphic Design: Macromedia Flash. Microsoft Paint. Adobe software.
5. ISTS? (pdf manipulator). Bluebeam PDF? Various pdf, ebook tools. I use it to help me cut my pdfs to better sizes and forms.
Split and merge.
6. I am looking for chemistry software.
7. Edutainment and tutorial software. Many of these come with college textbooks as a CD, and provide a self-quizzing style format of teaching. (youtube.com, MIT, harvard, stanford free opencourseware online, yahoo answers for crowd sourcing)
8. CodeBlocks for C/C++ IDE(Integrated Development Environment). IDE = compiler + debugger + possibly notetaking + GUI(graphical user interface) + linker + interpreter + editor + side commentary(possible addition) all put into one
9. DNS or Dragon Naturally Speaking. Buy for the full $110 package that comes with the headset that works optimally with the software, being designed for it patented. It speeds up my other tasks.
10. Neoshooter.
11. Virtual Magnifying Glass
12. utorrent.
13. There are always more software to look up and put in here. College course catalog and schedule of classes booklet, look into the engineering technology courses and engineering.
14. Camtasia studio (my preferred for screen recording), there is also camstudio.
15. Math software: Graphcalc, spreadsheet(better for certain astronomy calculations), derive, matlab(highly difficult to use)
16. Office: openoffice.org and Microsoft Office.
17. Different Types of programming code that "naturally flow into" being able to be used by a corresponding operating system such as windows, mac, or linux. OS corresponds to the corresponding piece of computer hardware, machinery type.
Someone can try to make a new one for a new piece of hardware. Biotech computers are the new frontier as of moment with biological type computing emulating human brain in ways never done before.
18. If you don't want to pay an accountant to do your money account work, you need to normally hire a CPA, accountant. You can bypass that with TurboTax Software.

General Freeware:
1. Best Web Browsers,
firefox: seamonkey, cometbird
google chrome: midori
Browser Addons:
1a. google chrome: CopyAllURL; firefox: copy urls expert
1b. firefox: downloadhelper AND Flash Video Downloader Youtube Downloader googlechrome: none
1c. google chrome: chromereload; firefox: reloadevery
2. cooltimer, a timer.
multi-track stopwatch or chromometer
3. gedit, this is my preferred txt editor due its clean simplicity look and feel.
4. vlc media player
5. irfanview
6. cutepdf

websites to find and download freeware or software:
softpedia, cnet.com

Physical Tools for Measurement:
1. Timex Sports Watches are nice. Comes with Chrono, Timer, Alarm (laps, more complicated), Stop and Start feature.
2. Meter Stick
3. spectrometer or spectrophotometer. chromatography machine for chemistry.

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Useful Software Programs, Hardware, and Tools Collection
PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:32 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
I hate microsoft software, it is full of back doors and spyware and they even admit it http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 39437.html

If I could I would use windows 3.11 but I am considering switching to GNU software which is entirely free http://www.gnu.org/software/ Its like linux as far as I understand and was developed by a patriot.

For electrical circuit simulators I use http://www.falstad.com/circuit/ It is java based and limited in what it can do but works well and is free.

For CAD drawings I use A9CAD (I recommend this) again it is not a sophisticated as autodesk but works well and its free http://a9cad.en.softonic.com/

Utorrent is good

I don't have a math software package now so I use microsoft excel to to do that. I used to have MathCAD which was very good

Never use open office or any cloud software if you can avoid it.

Google chrome is spyware as is microsoft silverlite

For information this is good http://concen.org/tracker/index.php yes there is some bunkum and "out there things to download but more than half of it is perfectly true.

I think this is an excellent thread, Thanks for starting it, we should share information on good software that is free.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:37 pm 

MyVirtualHome
fujitsu scan snap to quick scan home blueprints and diy book scanning

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 am 

OOOps I put the recommendations on another thread :oops:

Quote:
Because of the ongoing net censorship, we have to take a different approach. To do the research on this you need to access the information, unfortunately google now tailors your results to what it thinks you need to know based upon your search history where you live etc etc. To partially get around this form of censorship we have to use a different method of searching. We have to hide your identity from the search engine then google will provide all the results of your search, with only their sponsored links at the top and not censorship based upon what they think you want to know and what your government thinks you want to know. Its not perfect because google and the powers that be down rank and delist a great number of websites.

Go to https://startpage.com and search through their proxy. Startpage does not store any data on you or your searches.

Another way to improve your search accuracy and speed up your internet experience is to install adblock plus and Do Not Track Plus

I do not have any connections with the companies I have listed and it is only my opinion but try what I said and compare it to what you had before.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:57 am 

Linux is open source. No back doors, assuming you don't use some obscure distro made by some "hacker group" or other questionable organization. You can use all the good software you want, but you can't trust your own computer if your OS has back doors. Sacrificing privacy for convenience? Not my idea of a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:00 am 

Very true, I am considering GNU. Microsoft is spyware.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:20 pm 

The GIMP is good for image editing app but has a somewhat unique interface with a learning curve. It's free and open source. It does most everything most people would ever use Photoshop for.

Audacity is amazing for audio editing. I didn't think so about seven years or so ago when I first tried it, but it's come a long way in features and stability since then. If you have a piece of music that needs to be chopped or spliced, or faded in or out in over just a certain amount of time, or echoed, or something more advanced, it does about anything.

VLC is as a media player and a lot more. It gets better the more you get below its surface into its advanced settings and functions.

Abiword is a quick powerful little open source word processor

Gnumeric is a quick powerful little open source spreadsheet.

LibreOffice is where an independent group branched off Open Office when Oracle acquired OpenOffice. It has all the features and more than Openoffice had before the acquisition. For simple mindmaps and flowcharts, the "draw" app that's a part of libreoffice is nice. Also it has a presentation creator which I never used much.

I wish I could tell someone a 100% great web browser, but in my imagination, that's the app that the "evil galactic empire" target most to infiltrate. I simply recommend vigilant research and trying to stay open source as much as possible. Firefox is maybe safer than others, but they seem to have some Googliness built in.

It always strikes me as funny that it was once Google's slogan: "Don't be evil". It might still be, for all I know. We should probably commend Google for not being more evil than it is, but that's kind of like thanking your government for not taxing you for the air you breath. And now I just gave some politician THAT idea. So be it.

Last edited by superdude on Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:05 am 

Google is NSA and DARPA. it is the most powerful data mining engine ever conceived, it links into your webcam and microphone to monitor you, it is the definition of spyware.

It is also, because of this, the best search engine but you need to know how to use it. Use startpage, this uses the google search engine but anonymously. You still get the results but not tailored to what google has determined is what you as an individual are allowed to see. You still get googles preferred results first but items that it has deliberately delisted or downgraded wont be shown.

Google is evil.

All cloud software is spyware.

Thanks for the heads up on the other programs

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:12 am 

Free Circuit is a nice tiny easy-to-use electronics schematics editor. It's for Windows, but also runs well in Wine under Linux.
Oregano is a clean little circuit schematic editor and circuit simulator for Linux.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2012 4:12 am 

Windows deregistered itself and shut down so I am giving a form of linux called Gnewsense a try, Its fast but I am having a lot of problems and could use help. How do you install something on linux?