It is currently Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 am

Welcome
Welcome to imhotep's labs

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. In addition, registered members also see less advertisements. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Post subject: understanding schematics
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:33 am 

Have thanks: 0 time
i really tried hard today to make one of these oscillators ,
trouble is i really dont understand the schematic :oops:
will have another go next weekend.
video doesnt really give me the detail i need.
just basically says follow schematic, (i am a carpenter trying hard to get it though)

ok update to this post..i made a joule thief work woohoo. now to next step :lol:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: understanding schematics
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:51 am 

well as i have to answer my own post, he he..
woohoo i got the thing to work . wow big thanks to Imhotep and Shiva for this stuff.
oh boy this is excellent 8-) 8-) .
i still am not too sure of the purpose of the neon but i think its to dissipate some of the large excess amount of energy.(is this correct) . and will it damage charge battery or circuit without neon?
i am scared to run it for a long period so i havent actually tried to charge my batteries as yet.

the schematics were a little dodgy but with some trial and error i managed to get around that problem.

very happy
cheers Barry :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:00 pm 

Have thanks: 27 time
You don't need the neon, they are used to protect the transistors in other circuits but are useful to show when you have it wired the right way

Mick

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:13 pm 

Same for me here. The video from the radiant oscillator is very clear up to 5:05. Then it gets all not understandable. I can't read the diagram. Show us the rest like you did Imhotep with all of the detailed shots and embedded pictures before 5:05. That should be very nice because this relay method is really good! No winding stuff, just some simple soldering, thats it. A better video makes this energy more available for the general public.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:30 am 

Not sure which circuit you are building, can you send me the link then ill go through it with you

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:31 am 

i have built the imhotep car relay oscillating charger.

everyone keeps saying you dont need the neon , so why put it there in the first place.
when i connect wires to charge battery it stops glowing.
with neon i measure the voltage at the charge battery and its reading about 8.5 volts.
when its not connected to (the neon plus charge battery) its about 200 volts in spikes.
8.5? (needs about 14 or so to charge 12 volt)?
dont think i can put 200 volts straight into a battery can i?
or does the battery soak it up and bring down the voltage.
i also didnt want to connect my cheap meter to something with high voltage and break it.
i only have 200ma fused meter so i cant check the amps either . i assume that its pretty low and prob below 200milliamps but if not i really dont want to replace fuse all the time.
as i said i have built it and it works . but i dont know if its charging with enough output to do anything.
so if i remove the neon can i connect to charge battery and see what it reads with my meter. (hoping over 13.5 volts for a good charge rate) i also know that a very low amp will take a long long time to charge(if battery is reasonably good condition).
but will it charge a flat battery on such low amps.

these are my Qs at the moment.

oh and i have now also built the imhotep car coil solid state cfl light. this is a spooky item . it does all sorts of weird and wonderful things.(incuding giving me a good bite).
i have to get more than 1 cfl as it wont stay on unless i touch the positive somewhere.it is also better when i put bare feet on the ground(without even touching it)it is already earthed to my water pipes.
i want to try this as a charge circuit also but am unsure of the connections. its doing the same thing as the relay charger only in a solid state form.its pulses, i assume are a lot slower than the relays, which i have read is better for charging anyway.
and another thing it should still be able to light up the fluorescence and charge at the same time.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 10:53 am 

ok i tried connecting my meter anyway and suffer the consequences.
the readings were identical to the readings with the neon attached and connected to charge battery. 8.25 volts. my 12 volt battery only has 6.2 volts in it. its been unused for about a year and just sitting on concrete floor. so if i can revitalize this bugger i will be very happy.
question would the charge rate be higher if i connect it to a better battery.
i will answer this q myself in due time anyway.when i get the chance ,its too late now and too dark out.

question on my imhotep car coil thingy.
it only works when it sucks power through my body. it doesnt come on unless i grab it.
and sometimes i have grabbed it in the wrong spot(you know what i mean OUCH).

i have only 2 transistors . it got real hot 1st time around and fried one of 3 so now i have only 2.
i have it wired same as shlodos detail .heres link .using earth
http://www.youtube.com/user/dodoshlodo# ... XKR7rJdze8

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 2:08 pm 

So many things to answer. Ill do my best

"everyone keeps saying you dont need the neon , so why put it there in the first place.
when i connect wires to charge battery it stops glowing." that's exactly how it should be.

"with neon i measure the voltage at the charge battery and its reading about 8.5 volts.
when its not connected to (the neon plus charge battery) its about 200 volts in spikes.
8.5? (needs about 14 or so to charge 12 volt)?" Hmmm a problem here

without a battery or neon your voltage (100+) is about right but the 8.5v is very low. If you use an analog meter they cannot respond fast enough and this might happen but you would have a similar problem without the neon. Is it a neon? or some other type of lamp

"dont think i can put 200 volts straight into a battery can i?" yes you can because there are no amps.

It is not possible to measure amps with radiant energy so we can forget that measurement. any amps you are getting is a small transformer effect in the coils and is a system loss.

Is your battery a lead acid battery? if so the following applies

"so if i remove the neon can i connect to charge battery and see what it reads with my meter." Yes that is exactly what you should do. and drive the voltage up as high as it will go 14.4 to 15.5v. on subsequent charges just take it to 14.4 to 14.8v

On the CFL try connecting the spare wire to an antenna instead of the ground, that works too. I don't recommend holding the wires as you have found out, these things bite.

If you try to charge a battery and power the CFL you will be disappointed as the power will be divided by the two.

"ok i tried connecting my meter anyway and suffer the consequences.
the readings were identical to the readings with the neon attached and connected to charge battery. 8.25 volts. my 12 volt battery only has 6.2 volts in it. its been unused for about a year and just sitting on concrete floor. so if i can revitalize this bugger i will be very happy." Ahh your battery is very badly sulphated. You may not be able to recover it but even if you can it will take a very long time. You will need to pour out the acid, rinse out the battery and put back the acid to start to recover it.

If you put the charger on a good battery your voltage will be higher.

"question on my imhotep car coil thingy.
it only works when it sucks power through my body. it doesnt come on unless i grab it.
and sometimes i have grabbed it in the wrong spot(you know what i mean OUCH)." Hehehe Dont touch it then. try twisting all the wires of the CFL togeather and connect your supply to that. then wrap a little wire round the furthest part of the bulb and connect that to a big antenna or earth.

Have fun

Mick

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:02 am 

wow ,big thanks Mick for all that info.
and mate i sure am having fun with this stuff. it rocks

to answer your q about the neon (yes) it a 90 volt from jaycar i bought it specially for this relay.
i am about to go and put my charger on a good battery and see what happens.
wish me luck ;)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:00 am 

update: i connected charger to a 12 volt car lead acid battery which has 9.83 volts left in it.
when connected it is now a descent 12.85 volts reading whilst under charge.
the run battery is an identical type of battery with 11.95 volts.
these were both replaced from my cars a good 12 months ago.
i know if i put the 9.83 volts battery to my regular transformer battery charger i can only get it to about 11.5 volts fully charged, so this will be a real good test for the new charger.
when its finished i will swap the batteries around.and charge the run battery. i also measured the run bats 11.95 volts so i can see how much gets sucked from it, if any.
it too will only ever charge to 11.5 volts when charged the old way.

my next project will prob be a bedini motor?

i would like to tell all that this new hobby of mine is probably the best ,most interesting thing i have done in many many years.
i am learning more than i thought possible and i am very eager to experiment with all these new toys.
now that i am getting the basic concept of this stuff i have a lot of ideas of my own that i cant wait to try out and experiment with.
there are just not enough hours in the day for me now he he he. :mrgreen: